Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

'You don't really think that is Jupiter do you?'

Johnboy

When I was at school they did have some more vocational studys, Car mechanics and Bricklaying, which were for the "Less capable" I really wanted to do the car mechanics as I love to tinker.... but no I had to do French or German..... so so useful I n later life that was for me.

The wood work teacher didn't even know how to apply French polish let alone how to make it. I just looked at him and laughed. I had just done a glorious restoration of 2 1950's clocks, one waxed and the other French polished, both sold for a fair few quid after the movements were sorted.

I know what you mean but society as a whole shouldn't see the vocational subjects for people 'less capable'. certainly gas and electrics are not for the idiots in society, nor mechanics.

Not everybody should go to univeristy, contrary to new labour beliefs. Accessabililty yes, but that shouldn't get confused with 'a place just because you are disadvantaged mentally or otherwise. It was a ridiculous idea from labour.

How many pyschologists is this country going to have in ten years time, compared to 'real' subjects that will help actually facilitate the countries output, rather than dealing with the 'stress' these poor underworked men and woman feel.

bah, rant over :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we live in a culture where, in some people, ignorance is seen as a virtue

Rob

I think that helps some people get through the day, the "Royal Family" reminds me of my oldest sons moms family, yet at the same time they had there geeky pastimes, but saying that none of them had arrogant disregard to knowledge they just did there thing.

Now on the other hand I can be very much the arrogant one on

"your wrong", however normally because im right LOL :D

There's nothing at all to be ashamed of about not knowing something....we all don't know a lot more than we do know, but for a person who doesn't know something to behave in an arrogant manner to someone who may know is wrong and disrespectful.

Unfortunately, we live in a culture where, in some people, ignorance is seen as a virtue....the sort of idiots who mock people who want to study at school, or who express any interest in anything that may not be considered utterly mainstream.

I've met this attitude before and it sends me straight to boiling point and I have no time at all for it.

Rob

well said that man :D:hello2::eek:

look at something so simple as a planet visible from such terrible places as the centre of London. Jupiter, for the anti-hero and fall guy of this thread, is not something real. It is something from a book. You can't see it, don't be ridiculous.

Our friend Chloe started sailing last year. When she met the crew and they were making general chit-chat she said: "My friends showed me Saturn last night. The rings looked amazing!..." The crewmen exchanged knowing glances, and shook their heads all rather embarrassed. "Chloe", they said, "You can't see Saturn in detail like that - even through a telescope..." and then they changed the subject.

She was really embarrased that they thought she was making up stories at her age...

We may know a bit about space and astronomy, but how many of us here can strip down a car engine and put it back together?

I struggle to change the oil.

Good Call, however my Grease Monkey mates all grumble about how its all about plugging in a computer these days.

However one of them has a old Lanny and its all "Hardcore" with that. Awesome!!! my mom was in the forces and was trained on them and 3 tonners, she was very nifty with a Spanner and a Rifle too LOL.

Whats so wrong with a layman not knowing its Jupiter, why would he ? Blimey there are some right stuck up know it alls here lol !

You seem to have missed the point - he is a layman yes, but he was 100% certain it wasn't Jupiter. Surely even a layman wouldn't be so cocky as to argue about something he doesn't know about.

I rue the fact every day it's taken me 40 years to "look up" for the first time.

I like to think if somebody had taken the time to point out Jupiter for me 20 years ago, I'd have taken the opportunity sooner.

18 months ago, I had no idea you could see other planets with the naked eye.

I think this thread underscores how absolutely surprising it is that you can look up and see another world with the naked eye. One of my work colleagues wondered what the "bright star" was. He looked it up, figured out it was Jupiter, and now he has an 8" Dob and hunts DSOs. It clearly made a big impression on him too.

None of us know as much as we'd like to. And i'd say that's a good thing. It means we strive to learn more. Just as long as we accept this fact as a beautiful human trait and use it to our advantage, rather than disregarding it and acting as if you know everything.

I think the day when i feel that i "know enough" will be the day when i'm ready to die.

None of us know as much as we'd like to. And i'd say that's a good thing. It means we strive to learn more. Just as long as we accept this fact as a beautiful human trait and use it to our advantage, rather than disregarding it and acting as if you know everything.

I think the day when i feel that i "know enough" will be the day when i'm ready to die.

I agree, but i will say this...

being a second year chemistry student, i already know far more thermodynamics than i ever wanted to...

what a god awful subject it is! :D

I hate self induced ignorance, when people have no interest in anything but themselves or their surroundings.

people that watch all the soaps and celebrity driven drivel with little or no interest in anything else!! and an unwillingness to learn. The" if it does not affect them they don't need to know" attitude.

It just makes me laugh to think of the learning tools that surround people in there every day lives, and what they actually get used for.

Facebook, games, celebrity gossip etc. when in fact we have the key to all the knowledge they could ever need.

We are all using these amazing tools to post on this forum too.

his reply was "whats a jupiter".
I recall seeing the term "a jupiter" (with indefinite article, and a small 'j'), used to designate any extrasolar gas-giant planet, the size of Jupiter or a bit larger, but not large enough to ignite as a star in its own right.

That's how I see it too. It is a bit annoying to be told you are wrong when you are right, whatever it's about!

There's nothing at all to be ashamed of about not knowing something....we all don't know a lot more than we do know, but for a person who doesn't know something to behave in an arrogant manner to someone who may know is wrong and disrespectful.

Rob

Not everybody should go to univeristy, contrary to new labour beliefs. Accessabililty yes, but that shouldn't get confused with 'a place just because you are disadvantaged mentally or otherwise. It was a ridiculous idea from labour.

I agree, but it isn't a Labour idea and it's been going on for some time. John Major's government converted the polytechnics into universities in 1991 based on the same beliefs. The "everyone should go to college" ideal is alive and kicking in most other western countries, irrespective of the political leanings of their leadership.

I went to university, and ended up in a career that has nothing to do with what I studied.

This happens to many. I studied astronomy, worked as programmer in the department of medical microbiology, started a company, went back to do a PhD in computer science, and now work as senior lecturer in computer science. The most important thing you learn is learning itself. In a roundabout way, I am again doing astronomy professionally, through collaboration with the astronomy department.

I agree, but it isn't a Labour idea and it's been going on for some time. John Major's government converted the polytechnics into universities in 1991 based on the same beliefs. The "everyone should go to college" ideal is alive and kicking in most other western countries, irrespective of the political leanings of their leadership.

Ah well im not old enough to know about Major :D, and I didn't know it was a common thought amongst other countries.

I just think theres too much emphasis on making everything equal and fair. If everybody gets a 2:1 in a degree, then effectively that degree becomes worthless, because its not distinguishing between ability (on the whole).

I guess I've grown up with labour and wrongly assumed it was more their policy than other parties.

Some people are more able than others. Whether they choose to use that ability is another matter. But you cannot 'give' everyone this ability. Some people are thick, some aren't. Equality yes but lets not get carried away - it's almost an inverse of a well known fascist regime of days gone by.

Archived