NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'You don't really think that is Jupiter do you?'

Johnboy

People are not equal (thank goodness). A priori, all people have equal worth (not meant in a monetary way), and deserve equal respect. Any human being is just amazing! During their lifetime some people add to their worth, and gain even more respect, others detract from their worth, and lose respect. This has little to do with innate ability, or societal status, in my opinion. Anybody who pulls his or her weight deserves respect.

What I cannot stand is not ignorance, but taking pride in your ignorance, and despising people who know things you don't.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I've grown up with labour and wrongly assumed it was more their policy than other parties.

Yeah, afraid not. It's a common, if well intentioned, delusion. For example, in Greece it's joked that you now need a BA to dispose of garbage for the council. In the US, Penn & Teller devoted an episode of their TV show to the topic: http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/166487/detail/

lol

The fact that he went back to the place where you guys saw the bright object [hours later] and he still needed his app to verify that it wasnt an airplane is quite amusing to say the least. Im not very aware of airplanes that sit in motion in the sky with extreme brightness for hours on end

I never have much of a problem remaining "apolitical". I think it's ever been the all-party UK policy to favour some... (privately educated) non-scientific oligarchy? LOL. And, it is rumoured (I sense true) that fee-paying UK universities have never been more "middle class" than at present? <genuine sigh> :eek:

Back in the 70s, as an undergrad, I (vaguely) laughed, at "Monty Python" <shrug> - As I guess many students do at today's BBC-elite, with their "alternative comedians", their celebrity wives and sundry "Twitterings". <yawn>. BUT was that really "me"? H*LL NO! Idem with today's science students - I hope? :p

Attending my second ever(!) meeting of a local Astronomy Group did me a "power of good". A local troupe of cubs/scouts attended. They sat QUIETLY through a nervously-delivered "talk", but never waned in their interest! They asked (answered) some fairly probing questions too. To today's popular / celebrity Astronomers: I'm interested in your thoughts on "Astronomy". I couldn't give a "rodent's posterior" (in Edmund Blackadder parlance!) re. your much-publicised stance on "Politics & Religion" etc. :D

Archived