Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'You don't really think that is Jupiter do you?'

Johnboy

Hi folks,

Last Saturday I spent the evening with my family and friends at a bonfire party.

Amongst the guests were my niece and her new boyfriend. (Both in their mid twenties). After a while my niece pointed at a bright object in the sky and said she thought it was a plane but it couldn't be because it wasn't moving. So I told her it was Jupiter. She seemed impressed until her boyfriend bent toward her ear and whispered, 'You don't really think that is Jupiter do you?'

She nodded but didn't know what to say. I kept quiet because I didn't want to put her in an embarrassing situation.

A few hours later the subject came up again only this time he said outright that it wasn't Jupiter. I told him it was but he just argued, not even considering that he might be mistaken. He didn't even say what he thought it was just that it definitely wasn't Jupiter. Anyway, my daughter's boyfriend fortunately has an app on his phone called 'Google Sky' which can identify any celestial object when the phone is pointed at it. My nieces boyfriend took the phone and pointed it at Jupiter and stared at it for ages, not believing his eyes. Eventually he muttered, 'Well, I'll eat my words,' before wondering off mumbling something to my niece.

Some people hey?:D

Regards,

John

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always expect that if such people are made to look foolish enough times they'll eventually pause and think before opening their mouths. Not sure it works that way though.

Pretty sure it doesn't work like that, they get set in their world view and don't consider that there are others who might know a little more than them.

This may be casting a damper on this thread, but, honestly, why be so smug?

I fully appreciate that many people are not familiar with the night sky - after all, if they live in town, they hardly ever see it! Sometimes I try to point things out, but if someone chooses to argue the toss with me, let them!

And I - for all my claims to knowledge - can get it wrong too. Though for me it's usually the other way round: I'll casually point out a bright object and say "That's Jupiter/Venus/Mars/whatever" "But Pete, it's moving, and it's flashing" "Oops no - that's an aircraft - I mean, that's Jupiter...." :eek:

Anyone want to put hand on heart and say, they've never been caught!? :D

Well I have identified, with confidence, the ISS once, when it was actually a chinese lantern so I know where you are coming from :-)

I guess you kind of answer your own question though. Most of us are humble enough to know our own limitations but when you come across someone who knows little about the subject but still argues with complete certainty that they are right, it gets a little. tiresome!

Stu

Possibly. My personal choice, in such a situation, would be to back off, without seeming to agree too much with the other guy's blatant ignorance.

And then, I suppose, turn to a forum like SGL and have your say there! But without your antagonist able to respond, you're punching thin air.

Maybe the OP should point his niece's bf towards the delights of SGL, and hint that he could benefit a lot from signing up! How about it? :D

I understand being sceptical, after all Jupiter (and all the other planets except Earth) just look like bright stars to the naked eye. But there's a difference between doubting someone and telling others they're wrong behind their back, and a difference between doubting someone and getting into a pointless argument with them.

We also had the niece and new boyfriend round on bonfire night, they both looked at the moon and jupiter for the first time through a scope, both left open mouthed and amazed at what they saw. Felt good giving someone the chance to see something special. No app phones present !

few years ago when i discovered my love for astronomy was when i found out that the brightest star in the sky at the time was in fact venus. checked with stellarium of course.

dragged my mate out, showed him, showed him stellarium, showed him sky maps. would he listen. would he hell.

Until someone sees Jupiter through a telescope it doesn't seem unreasonable to me for them to think it's just a bright star. Before I became interested in astronomy I wouldn't have thought twice about what it was. Now, with the benefit of Stellarium, I'm much more informed :D

This may be casting a damper on this thread, but, honestly, why be so smug?

:eek:

No smugness here. Like I originally posted, I backed away at first not wanting a confrontation as it was the first time I'd met him, but for him to start talking as if I was making it all up and mocking me just seemed a bit much. :D

We should all carry around small refractors strapped to our backs so we can bust them out like a superhero at times like these.

"That's not jupiter!"

"Ohhhhh really?" *Rrrriipppp-click-snap-pop-rachetsounds* "Then what would you call THIS?!"

"ARRRGGGHHHH i have been proven wrong and am shamed...."

Archived