Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

To delete or not....?

Ant

A question for all you imagers?

I don't have a large chip camera, so my dilemma is probably not as bad as some, but -

On a typical NB image I can end up with loads of files,

30-50 lights per channel - maybe 150 x 3mb = 450Mb.

51 flats per channel - so 153 x 3Mb = 159Mb

101 Bias files - 101x3Mb = 303Mb

That's just shy of 1Gb just in raw data... the 32Bit Tif's are 40Mb, so there is three of them (assuming that I only stack each set of subs once per channel). Then the final image.

Do you guys keep all the subs files that make up the final image.

Cheers

Ant

It is a problem and tend to do a lot of pc housekeeping and deleting lots of images and subs...

I do store a lot of stuff on a second built in hard drive just for astro but even that is full to the brim...so now considering an external HD.

Now the dark skies are back - will have to sort something out pdq

I have been deleting those images which have obvious problems. Shake the OTA , delete the sub, aimed wrong, delete it, etc. I see no sense in keeping a sub that I am never going to use in the future. That way, I tend to forget all the bad subs, and it helps me to believe that I actually am a pretty good photographer !

I keep the RAW images and a Tiff of the final processing. Given that 1Tb and 2Tb drives aren't too expensive anymore it's probably worth hanging on to as much as you can. If it's 1Gb for an imaging run then that's 1000 imaging runs to fill a 1 Tb drive - so that's about 1000 clear nights - yeah right! how long is that - 10 years if there is 100 clear nights per year.

Sam

I keep everything that isn't flawed in some way. Over time when I learn new techniques I often go back I te beginning, restack and do it all again.

The umpteen gigabytes of data are backed up on my work computer.....

James

Archived