Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Question...?

Greg

Do You Like observing On Your Own or Do You Prefer Company...?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like observing On Your Own or Do You Prefer Company...?

I'm depends...

I tell you why..

My job involves a lot of people, hastle and agro..Sometimes I cherish the time on my own with no kids, wife or any agro, just me and the sky...

Sometimes I call a friend over for a de-brief and a chat as we look at the sky and eat pizza...

Or it it could be that he can get his hands on some good astro stuff....Just kidding...I havn't actually got my hands on any really good stuff yet.. :D

I ditto all of the above and have gone for 'Depends' also!... I also like to be out there with Russ, or the club and watch all the imagers doing their stuff!!. Also like looking at a target on a nice clear night and saying 'oh, wow...look at this!'.

:D

Good thread!

I voted yes as I do imaging and not visual stuff. Other people tripping over my wires would irritate me loads, its bad enough when I do it. :D Also I'm a set it up and leave it type of guy, just watching the subs roll in is very pleasant after dealing with loads of people in the real world of work. We tend to get loads of people in our house each weekend evening (adults and various sizes of kids) so its nice to have an excuse to sneak off for half an hour or so.

Trying to work out what you are supposed to be doing is something that I find difficult when also trying to have one ear half open for when somebody says something.

Occasionaly its very pleasant to show people some moon close-ups live, but my crowd prefer to look at images rather than go out in the cold.

Captain Chaos

I prefer company - as you know Greg

It's great to share what you've seen with someone next to you..My most memorable moments have been with Steve....In an astronomy way :D

But sometimes it's nice to chill and just look on your own...

I voted YES.

Personally I much prefer observing on my own. For me it's a very special time, for reflection etc and I have to be happy in all aspects of my life to go out and observe ( I do not observe if I have issues at work or at home). I don't know why.

Imaging I have never done with anyone else (except at star parties).

I really need to be in the mood for company and generally I'm not, makes planning ahead rather difficult.

One thing that I do enjoy doing with others is things like meteor observing.

Ant

Depends - Happy with or without. The peace and quiet can be great. Having the ability to share what you are doing/seeing/using is also great.

Anthony

(Mind you, used to get a bit edgy at times by myself in the early days. Night-time garden noises, apples dropping, one of my black cats leaping onto the obs wall was a particular favourite etc - so company was good then!

I'm a 'depends' person - I think in life as well as astronomy (I have been accused of just not being able to make up my mind!)

There are times when I just love sitting and looking, and more recently playing with the camera :D , on my own

But observing with Jean (who is learning), and with Richard (who is really new to all this), is really fun because its great to be able to show them (and then get them to find on their own) things that are special to me and see them get enthusiastic. Its also good to compare notes on what we can see in different scopes (eg we had a refractor and a dob for the lunar eclipse)

Helen

I put yes because I usually like to get away from it all and enjoy not having to be responsible for anyone for a change and appreciate the peace and quiet. My wife reckons I have some antisocial/loner/hermit tendencies (sounds bad? :D) and that disappearing to the dark hills is just the thing for me.

That said, I really enjoyed observing with others at Kelling a couple of weeks back and I've been observing with a neighbour recently who's getting back into astronomy so perhaps I should have voted 'depends'... perhaps my wife is wrong. :D

'Depends'

Echo what others have said really. I do like to get away from the wife and kids (in the nicest possible way, dear), particularly after a creppy day at work, but I also enjoy company as well.

As an active member of the AS, I do a lot of showing, and this is only likely to increase over the next year anyway.

And just recently, we've been doing some 'proper' astronomy - recording basic info on variables, doubles, feint magnitudes, etc, as we work towards a proper programme for next season.

And I love imaging (even though it frustrates the Be-jesus(?) out of me) so I understand where CC is coming from!

I love it all really :D :D

Definitely both. Sometimes I just want the solitude, away from everything. I'm probably the opposite of Ant. When things are going badly, those are the times are need to get out and do the hobby. Nothing more relaxing than being under the stars.

On the other hand, really enjoy meeting up with Rob. Something nearly always goes wrong or something weird happens but it's great fun all the same. We've had freak weather, foregotten half the kit, War of Worlds death ray, almost run over by a joy rider and we had to call the police on one occasion. For some reason it's always an eventful evening. Also enjoy meeting up with members of Solent AS, especially looking forward to August 12th with them.

Agree with CC, imaging is mainly a solitary thing really. Although I do get a buzz from showing Rob the images as they appear on the DSLR.

Also agree with Ant that Meteor showers are definitely a group thing, hence August 12th.

Russ

Archived