Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy Magazines

Following on from my previous post regarding SGL and S@N, I wonder what astronomy magazines everyone buys? Sorry to be predictable but I have only ever bought S@N. , but don't know what format the other ones take. Obviously I assume the other ones are UK specific with UK relevant sky maps, data and information. S@N has been very informative thus far, but if anyone can recommend anything better then I would be interested in having a look.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to buy the US magazines "Astronomy" and "Sky & Telescope" and I've got quite a few years back copies of "Astronomy Now" as well. I have to say that I find the web plus selected books provide most of the information I need to enjoy the hobby now so I've become an occasional purchaser of "Astronomy Now".

I have an Astronomy Now subscription and I buy S@N as long as it's on the shelves. I'd love to subscribe to S@N but the fake tax means it is cheaper for me to buy individual copies.

Any idea what this means?

All savings are calculated as a percentage of the Basic Annual Subscription Rate (BAR).

The UK BAR rate of Sky at Night is £54.00 .

Anyhoo, I like both mags personally one is a little lighter than the other.

I buy Astronomy now on a fairly regular basis but find myself more and more turning to the net. S&T's website is very good and I find a lot of the information from magazines is on there anyway. But have to agree with Kh3ldar, sometimes its nice to just sit down and flick through a mag

But have to agree with Kh3ldar, sometimes its nice to just sit down and flick through a mag

I agree - mags are also useful for ramming in a bag to take to work, on trains, weekends away in a tent, the toilet ahem bathroom. Places that I may worry about taking a laptop.

My wife thinks I have a magazine addiction anyway - I've normally got about 3 or 4 on the go on different topics.

Anyway as an astronomy newbie I've just got a S@N sub to get the free red light headtorch, and I've been picking up Astronomy Now. They seem to contain a good mix of articles which I can understand. I was tempted by a US mag this morning just to browse through the ready made observatories. (The location of my garage is useless, so why not build an ob there is the way my thinking goes...of course I'd need a really good scope then.)

i have S@N as a subscription only asi had it at £5 for 6 months and just contuned it. i used to buy astronomy now and im considering going back due to the BBC outsourceing its mag section, which im worrying might make the mag more for profit than the average hobbist.

one thing i do like is the articules by a few of our own members here and seeing pictures of ours in the mag and disk

I read Astronomy Now but that could be because I sometimes write for them!

I think it does a pretty good job of catering for a wide range of expertise and the reviews cover fewer products in greater detail. Alan Longstaff's Question/Answer section is brilliant.

I also buy the French mag Astronomie which does optical bench tests of all the telescopes it reviews and it helps my astronomical French which is a bonus since I work in that field.

Olly

I subscribe to both S@N and Astronomy Now.. S@N mag was my first "serious" delve into astronomy back in January this year.

I do enjoy both magazines.. I find S@N has some very useful beginner articles and some gorgeous astro-photos, but I do find the Astronomy Now articles more in depth, which I am now starting to enjoy more as my experience grows.

I also enjoy the reading of the magazines over web articles. Although I do that a lot as well, I do really like the more "relaxed" approach of being able to sit away from my laptop reading through the magazine (and gazing longingly at the adverts too :) )

Just renewed a (almost lapsed!) subscription to S@N - So Thanks! Used to think AN was better, but feel S@N has improved. Although some parts make me chuckle, there's a comforting sense of "familiarity" with S@N. If I want to see "state of the art" equipment (I cannot afford anyway!) and a useful alternative perspective, an occasional U.S. mag? They don't usually make it as far as the every-day Welsh book shops tho'... :)

Although I do that a lot as well, I do really like the more "relaxed" approach of being able to sit away from my laptop reading through the magazine (and gazing longingly at the adverts too :) )

That's a good point actually - as a beginner, the ads are very useful for me to browse. I'll normally wonder what the item in question does and have to look it up, but it's all learning!

They don't usually make it as far as the every-day Welsh book shops tho'... :D

Curiously, WHSmith in Swansea seems to stock quite a few US mags. This morning they had the normal UK ones plus a couple of US mags.

I read both s@n and astronomy now, as a newbie i find s@n better for the practical side of finding my way around or "whats coming up this month" but find astronomy now more interesting for the science side of it.

S@N is usually the one i grab to take outside with me for a night viewing

I subscribe to both AN and S @ N and enjoy both as they each have a different approach to the various subjects covered. Writing for one of them could give me a bias but the two are sufficiently different to hold my interest in reading them both from lid to lid each month.

When I'm on holiday - which means I am free to do a lot of reading - I always buy one of the American magazines (usually Sky and Telescope) but to be honest, I find them pretty bland in comparison with our own home grown varieties.

I was a very early adopter of the Internet (I actually started with Compu$erve long before the Internet was 'created') and although I love researching on line, there is nothing quite like a printed paper version to get really into.

As with Steve above, I write for and am on the staff list for Astronomy Now. I love writing for them, but do enjoy also reading S&T and Steve/Pete's work in S@N. As my colleague Dr Emily Baldwin always says "it's the same sky anyway"... so never see or think of rivalry...I have great friends inc Steve on S@N and also at S&T and Astronomy... we're all trying to deliver what we hope is useful info to everyone

I read Astronomy Now but that could be because I sometimes write for them!

I think it does a pretty good job of catering for a wide range of expertise and the reviews cover fewer products in greater detail. Alan Longstaff's Question/Answer section is brilliant.

I also buy the French mag Astronomie which does optical bench tests of all the telescopes it reviews and it helps my astronomical French which is a bonus since I work in that field.

Olly

there is a quote from you in this months astronomy now. page 12. knew id seen the name somewhere before :)

Archived