Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy Magazines

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to buy the US magazines "Astronomy" and "Sky & Telescope"
Yes, those were my favourites, too. I occasionally buy one or t'other - but very infrequently since Borders shut up shop.

I find that the british magazines have too little actual astronomy content. They seem to be more interested in articles about space, rockets and cosmology, whereas I'm only prepared to buy magazines about amateur astronomers looking through telescopes and/or imaging stuff.

I have subscriptions to S@N and Astronomy Now mags. I renewed the Astronomy Now sub at Astrofest for the last two years and got a discount each time. I also subscribe to the digital editions of Sky&Telescope and Astronomy in the USA. These are cheaper than the print versions and I don't have to hunt for them in the shops. The S@T sub includes all the digital back issues, and you can download a pdf for archive and off line reading. The Astronomy digital sub is not as flexible in that you can't load free back issues. You can print to pdf to get an off line copy though. I can read both mags on a PC, iphone or ipad. ipad is best. I'm also reducing the paper mountain of old mags!

I also subscribe to the digital editions of Sky&Telescope and Astronomy in the USA. These are cheaper than the print versions and I don't have to hunt for them in the shops. The S@T sub includes all the digital back issues, and you can download a pdf for archive and off line reading.

I had no idea the US mags were available as digital subscriptions. I have occassionaly bought a copy of both and have really enjoyed them but have always been put off by the large subscription cost for overseas. I've just looked to see the S&T digital sub is $29.95.. having that include all the digital back issues looks like amazingly good value, I am very very tempted (I say knowing full well I'm about to go grab the credit card.. :D ) :)

Archived