Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Esprit ED APO Triplets have arrived!

FLO

I'll be interested in seeing a head to head between the Esprit 120 and the Altair Astro 115. :)

I know you are just tweaking my tail John but let's explore this for a moment :rolleyes:

Do you believe the likes of Takahashi, TEC and Skywatcher with their new Esprit can manufacture 120mm APO triplets to sell £1k cheaper without it affecting quality control? Could they maintain the same optical performance? Consistently, batch-to-batch? Consider your own 80mm triplet. The first batch were great but soon after there were horror stories.

We select our products very carefully and will continue to do so.

Steve

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skywatcher are not known for their build quality or quality control.

Oh but they are. Considering the price of most Skywatcher telescopes I don't know anyone else who can mass produce telescopes to the same standard. The unspoken truth is Synta (Skywatcher) can manufacture optics to whatever standard they choose. If they think the market is there they will do it. I know that will upset a few people but that is the situation.

Will it be a case of I'd like the Esprit 120 but I'll settle for the 115 as it's a lot cheaper and almost as good?

That's a neat bit of footwork there John :rolleyes:

You make a good point though. It cost a lot to squeeze the last ounce of performance out of a design so if you spend double you might only achieve a 10-20% increase in performance. But that applies to all premium optics.

Skywatcher are not known for their build quality or quality control.

MLudes wrote some time ago on astronomie.de that Synta spent few mln USD on improving quality control.

And also those new APOs aren't cheap China invention. From what we found out (astropolis.pl, look for example here) the cell and optics were designed by Lichtenknecker Optics VAF. The whole thing is made on Taiwan by LongPerng - a company that is in the hands of Synta... And Synta makes big APOs because Synta owner likes big APOs and wanted to make his own comparable to Takahashi :rolleyes:

In Europe the same scope is sold also as Omegon (Carbon Fibre) and TS (alu) ;) Optics test is on Eingang

And other APO makers are getting annoyed that China is killing their sales (because they made, what looks at the moment, a working 150 mm APO):

* Yahoo! Groups

* Astromart Classifieds - Telescope - Refractor - 6"F/7 Super Apo for US $ 6,990

Our Guarantee : if you find a similar sizes triplet apo , made in USA or Japan, which performs visual better, which has a better colorcorrection, we offer you 100% money return.
:):D:D

Now... DS imagers got their big APO, then maybe planetary imagers could get Synta 17-20" DKs/Cassagrains with sandwich light mirrors (like Hubble Optics) that could be used with EQ6/HEQ5 :p?

I was just trying to imagine what posts/comments would be made if this thread was on Cloudy Nights? ;)

John

Similar to the comments made when the Synta ED doublets came out I guess. They seemed to quieten down though when Orion branded the ED80, 100 and 120 :rolleyes:

There always seems to be a sort of undercurrent of "how dare they !" and "don't they know their place ?" when this sort of thing happens :)

This will put the Cat (NPI) amounst the Refractor pidgeons especilly over the pond.

Yes there will be the usual bleating about chinese rubbish etc etc, but I am with FLO on this, chinese manufacturers have the newest manufacturing kit with well educated and talented people running things and are quite capable of making excellent scopes, this is not a low cost scope and my betting is that it is going to be surprisingly excellent and on par with scopes costing far more.

Now seeing I didn't need to replace my mount..........

Interesting. I must say that as an owner of a TEC140, I bought the scope purely on it's reputational performance and not for the brand name. I'd love to see a shoot-out between an Esprit 150 and Tak TOA 150 (at nearly double the price.) If the performance is as good as SW says then .....

Exciting times! Personally, from my own experience and what I've rerad, the optics on Skywatcher scopes seem to be consistently very good - sometimes excellent, but consistently very good.

I seem to remember in a conversation with Steve a while ago him making the comment that he hadn't seen a lemon yet... (think that was in reference to the Equinox range, if I recall correctly...)

Hopefully it will be the same with these new Esprits too.

Ant

As an ex-reprographer, believe I've discovered an excusable typographical error on the FLO website, a simple misplacement of a decimal stop.

Esprit 120 price should read £26-45. My pennies are already in the post. :rolleyes:

I will never own one of these new scopes purely because deep sky imaging holds no appeal at all, to me

however i do see a place in the market for this scope, syntra`a quality control seems very good, and if there is a problem it gets sorted out quickly.

The new esprit appears to be well priced, just an unknown quantity, until some imagers take the plunge and give it a try.

Archived