Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kelling Heath Chat Thread (Autumn 2011)

brantuk

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to point out, if anybody is stuck with collimation of a reflecting telescope I'll be around to help, just look for the massive blue tent and windbreaks and listen for the dogs and kids, cant recall the red pitch number, but we are next to wobblybob!

TJ, I don't have a reflector but really would love one at some point.

if anybody is stuck with collimation of a reflecting telescope
, would like to come and watch if any-one is doing a collimation. I know the principle, just not sure how the collimators work.

Thanks

Carole

TJ, I don't have a reflector but really would love one at some point. , would like to come and watch if any-one is doing a collimation. I know the principle, just not sure how the collimators work.

Thanks

Carole

Well, I'd still hopefully like to get someone to help with mine if possible... probably Friday afternoon if anybody is about?

Oh, and Kim, from which day do Kelling black out the toilet block windows and does the site become 'Astronomer friendly'? Is it not until the weekend? Or is it before that?

Cheers... really excited now!

Ben

I see theres a few places to eat at Kelling heath, are these 'on the park' or are they outside? Where are they sited? I'm thinking of not bringing my cooking kit as it takes alot of space that I need for the scope....Any idea on prices and open times please?

Edit: The kids want to know about the pizzas mostly (shock! lol)

Another question, Kelling stated pitch size to be 9x8.5 mtrs, my tent when pitched is 7x8.25 mtrs, will I be able to fit the car on? My pitch is 227 I don't want to be overflowing into next doors pitch!

That's a very big tent Celeste, the pitches are very big but they like you to pitch them 90 degrees to the back boundary. I suggest you liaise with Kelling.

Foodwise, there is a restaurant in the bar, big choice and not excessively expensive, and there is a smaller pizza bar as I recall, both at reception.

Carole

which day do Kelling black out the toilet block windows and does the site become 'Astronomer friendly'? Is it not until the weekend?

Yes I'd like to know the asnwer to that as I thought the whole week was supposed to be dedicated to Astronomy, but they only seem to block out the toilet block windows for the weekend.

Carole

Yeah, you're gonna have trouble fitting that plus a car on your pitch.

I'd say drive in, unload, set the tent up then take the car back and leave it in the car park for the weekend. The pitches are big, but only big from the point of view of fairly standard 4 - 8 man tents plus a car.... portable aircraft hangars weren't included in their plans I don't think :-)

Ben

@Ben - they black out the loos usually on Thursday ready for the main weekend. :)

@Celeste - that's a huge tent. It will fit but you may have to park the car along the end of the pitch - don't worry EMS will take care of you. There's plenty of places to eat and the pizzas are awesome - cooking gear not needed if you have oodles of cash available :)

@Carole - we're on the computer in the pizza place - but I'm assured the wifi is working ok this year. Dongles are way too slow for me :)

@Starlight - there's one or two here now - I've seen 3 other pitches plus us with scopes. But that's over three fields so not a lot at all. It'll fill up from Tuesday onwards. :)

More tomorrow - our pizzas are ready again lol :iamwithstupid:

Ok ok I get it...it's BIG lol :)...well...only a bit...I am looking for either another tent (vango icarus) trailer tent (combi camp) or a folding camper (conway cruiser) Although looking at the road leading to Kelling, it's very narrow, how do you tow a caravan through that! Carefully and pray no one comes the other way haha...

Archived