SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kelling Heath Chat Thread (Autumn 2011)

brantuk

HI Ben,

Yes, I hadn't checked Sombrero, and was unsure about M16.M20 and M8, they are still above the horizon, but only for about an hour and as you say depends on your sky line.

Oh well, need to shelve those for another time.

Carole

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone still wanting a pitch at Kelling this year? - send me a pm - I may be able to help out - I know of one (or possibly two) late cancellations coming up in the next day or two.

I might also be able to help with pitch shares - so if you're willing to share, or want a share - just let me know. :rolleyes:

Does no-one else require pitches for Kelling Heath in September? There has got to be someone who is looking for their own pitch who hasnt booked already... maybe someone new to the hobby who isnt sure if they should go or not (DO IT! You wont be disappointed!)... you never know who you might be camped near or next to....

Its very unusual to have no one asking for pitches, normally its a massive fight to grab spare spaces for the autumn event

Does no-one else require pitches for Kelling Heath in September? There has got to be someone who is looking for their own pitch who hasnt booked already... maybe someone new to the hobby who isnt sure if they should go or not (DO IT! You wont be disappointed!)... you never know who you might be camped near or next to....

Its very unusual to have no one asking for pitches, normally its a massive fight to grab spare spaces for the autumn event

I would like one :) for my first try but have not had a reply for the pitch on uk astro, guess its gone :(

Any more out there.

colin

There's wifi internet free in the "Village" area but you have to get an access code from the pizza shop or bar. 3G dongles and stuff are variable depending on where you are on the site but you can get a signal somewhere on all fields. :)

i went to my first Kelling Star party last September, had a great time, i`m not one for camping but we had a small group of us in the blue field and had 2 good nights out of the 3 i stayed, fantastic clear skies, there were very few targets i couldn`t see even with my then 6 inch sct, the differance a good sky makes is amazing and well worth the effort to attend, also the trade stalls are very tempting !!!!

i tried that last year but had card on me bought some gear and sold some gear, almost warked away with a megrez 72, but couldn`t think of a good enough excuse to give the wife as to why there was a £200 hole in the bank account L.O.L

but there was some good offers and the traders were willing to haggle about price to

Can anyone just come over for the day to have a chat and a look around ,

After last night I lost it again after a hour setting up and haveing a look round the sky and thinking WAY am I doing this . So I left the HEQ5 PRO with the 250p ds laptop and ever thing in the garden and went to bed. and it may still end up in the bin by the end of day I am sick of the dam things.

You can go to Kelling as a day visitor for free. I'd suggest the main weekend Saturday. You'll see trade stands in one field and 2 other fields full of scopes.

Just walk around and strike up a conversation with the campers. All very friendly and someone will offer help - especially if you see a pitch with a scope like yours. You may even get a few offers to come back after dark for a look through some scopes.

If you do leave your gear in the garden overnight - throw a cover over it to protect the electronics from dew/rain. I use a couple of these:

Cases, Bags and Covers for Telescopes and Other Optics

Does anybody know what the mobile phone signal and 3g signal is like at Kelling?

Mobile data is available (albeit slow) on all three fields... but not everywhere on all three fields! There are blackspots that have pretty much zero access whatsoever, and much of them are limited to GPRS speeds. There is free wifi in the "Village" with codes that you receive when you purchase something from the shop or bar.

But if you are on the fields, your access is going to be patchy, depending on your location. As such, I am hoping this will help a bit! (SGL6 attendees will know the previous version of this bit of kit, which has recently been upgraded)

20110613-mast03-small.jpg

20110613-mast02-small.jpg

Archived