SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kelling Heath Chat Thread (Autumn 2011)

brantuk

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mmmmm what sort of bribery do you require to visit my scope :)

colin

I do them for a choccy biscuit :)

There'll be loads of help available, just shout. Also, I will have my artificial star available, for daytime collimation.

And..... I am also testing a method of using a video camera to collimate which so far is amazingly simple and deadly accurate. Works great on Newts, and also on my C9.25, happy to demonstrate the method to anybody interested, and if you have a telescope or dob that needs tweaking, so much the better!

Our stuff is all packed up ready now, even the car. Just killing time till wednesday morning.......

I do them for a choccy biscuit :)

There'll be loads of help available, just shout. Also, I will have my artificial star available, for daytime collimation.

And..... I am also testing a method of using a video camera to collimate which so far is amazingly simple and deadly accurate. Works great on Newts, and also on my C9.25, happy to demonstrate the method to anybody interested, and if you have a telescope or dob that needs tweaking, so much the better!

Our stuff is all packed up ready now, even the car. Just killing time till wednesday morning.......

Will get choccy biscuits :)

Hey all,

Been a bit busy and haven't had time so contribute but I will be at Kelling Sat and Sun I think. Can't remember what pitch but I will be with my dad also, please say hi. It definitely looks like I will be the youngest astronomer there :)

Oh and I would be eternally grateful if someone could test my attempts at collimation! I will pay in whatever I can find! Perhaps EP lending :)

Adam

I'll be coming down on sat evening, and leaving monday providing the weather is good. Its my first time at Kelling so don't know what to expect, yet am very excited. Looking forward to meeting SGL members, and if i am lucky look down a few scopes.

I hope to try a pair of gaint 100mm bins, an APO, an C11 and a 20in Dob. :)

The darkest skies i observe at is rated at 5.39LM, Kelling is estimated at 5.85... thats a huge jump, i understand that would be simular to moving from my 16in to a 20in.

Hope the food is good :)

Mmmmm what sort of bribery do you require to visit my scope :)

colin

Hi Colin,

I'd be happy to help you with SCT collimation, though I am not such a fan of chocy biscuits. Now if we were talking Jaffa cakes, that is a different matter...

However, TJ's offer of help with an artificial star sounds like a great idea. Getting the collimation done without wasting night skies sounds like the way to go!

Cheers,

Chris

Hey all,

Been a bit busy and haven't had time so contribute but I will be at Kelling Sat and Sun I think. Can't remember what pitch but I will be with my dad also, please say hi. It definitely looks like I will be the youngest astronomer there :)

Oh and I would be eternally grateful if someone could test my attempts at collimation! I will pay in whatever I can find! Perhaps EP lending :)

Adam

Lol how old are you Adz? My son is so into astronomy...and he's 10 :) He's the reason we got a scope (and a little for me too!) Me i'm a young 37 lol...wonder what the general age of the guys here are? I'm sure someone did a poll not long ago....will have to find it :)

Hi Chris

I am off to Asda this morning to get food for kelling so have put jaffa cakes on the list as all help and chatting is welcome.

Perhaps TJ could give a demo about collimation in daylight with my scope lol (guess I'll be off TJ's xmas list now :) )

colin

Lol how old are you Adz? My son is so into astronomy...and he's 10 :) He's the reason we got a scope (and a little for me too!) Me i'm a young 37 lol...wonder what the general age of the guys here are? I'm sure someone did a poll not long ago....will have to find it :)

I'm 32, my 10 year old and 5 month old won't be accompanying me however :)

On the whole collimation issue, I will have my Skywatcher laser collimator and Cheshire collimator with me. If anyone wants to borrow them, give me a shout. (Laser will be collimated before I set out!)

Jaffa cakes, chocolate biscuits, beer... check!

If anyone wants to have a stab at my 6" RC to check it's collimated I'd still be megga grateful! Hoping it should be fine.

I think the only difference between an RC and an SCT is mirror shape isn't it? Or does the RC have an extra built in corrector lens?

I'm hoping what will work on an SC or MC scope should work on an RC.

Looking forward to seeing everyone up there in a few days!

Ben

PS: what time/day do we all start the chanting and sacrefices to the weather gods? Just so we can synchronise our efforts :-)

PS: what time/day do we all start the chanting and sacrefices to the weather gods? Just so we can synchronise our efforts :-)

I started a fortnight ago. The dead chickens strewn across my monitors are starting to smell a bit though .....

I started a fortnight ago. The dead chickens strewn across my monitors are starting to smell a bit though .....

Ha ha brilliant. I would love some good weather but sometimes it is just no the case and there isn't any point complaining about it. (Even if it is apparently in our nature!)

I am 23, thought I would be the youngest judging from the thread with all the member pics, but I guess not :)

I am looking forward to meeting SGLers! I found out we are on the blue pitch number T250. No idea what that is like for stargazing but better than back home here I am sure!

If anyone has an appo frac I could look through I would love it, I have never seen one let alone looked at some objects with one!

Stocking up on Jaffas as we speak...

Any solar enthusiasts on site?, I'll be bringing a 125mm PST mod, pitch 303 Red Field, Thursday 'till Sunday.

Hi Peter, I would not mind checking out your mod as I have yet to complete mine. I still need to buy the erf £££££££

I am on pitch T136 and should arrive late on Tuesday evening.

Any chance seeing UARS burning up this weekend while at Kelling?

Unfortunately there are no night time passes for Kelling until the 27th. But, if it's that bright as it re-enters and can be seen during the day...

:)

Unfortunately there are no night time passes for Kelling until the 27th. But, if it's that bright as it re-enters and can be seen during the day...

:)

From a news report last night, UARS is expected to re-enter Earth's atmosphere on Friday, earlier than originally predicted because the orbit is decaying faster than expected. Although there can be little accuracy this far from the event, the projection was for pieces of it to be scattered anywhere from Canada to South America. The trajectory will be over Western Canada from NNW to SSE, if the news had it right.

Archived