Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pictures of your set up

Viv

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a picture of my imaging setup:

23k4sck.jpg

It should be complete when my set of Explore Scientifics arrive, until the time I decide to go really big.

I have to say that I'm glad I decided to get the HEQ5 Pro instead of the normal EQ5 without motors, but in hindsight I would've definitely gone for the NEQ6 + 250p scope.

Here's my sig kit standing on 'the crawler' that I need to clear the threshold out to the balcony. It's a SW pier with an iOptron pier tube welded to it in order to get the kit closer to the balcony rail - it will hit the door otherwise. The counterweights on at the bottom are there to prevent disaster... :grin:

post-16323-0-57264600-1341066930_thumb.j

Very happy to recieve my first EQ mount! hopefully a big step towards improving my AP attempts (remains to be seen!) Have been saving up for a CGEM but couldnt resist a great offer from FLO on a CG-5GT and heres the current kit - excluding the camera so set up for visual

post-15439-0-55483000-1341248221_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Bought my first Telescope the other week, Tuesday and Wednesday were the first time I set it up outside and used it. There was a full moon so it wasn't an in depth session, I set it up close to the house for the power, but I have a flat area at the end of the garden dedicated for the scope. This time out it was simply to look at Jupiter and to get to grips with aligning the scope with the Go-To.

Absolutely over the moon ;) with it, easy to setup/operate/store/move.

z0Wgz.jpg

• 3 months later...

After a year in astronomy, I've got a selection of toys to share. First the mount and scope, a Skywatcher 200PDS and NEQ6. In the background, you can see my 'warm room'. I sit in my daughters play house with my laptop when imaging, with the cables running out through a gap in the door. It's quite cozy in there with the heater on. You just have to make sure you duck far enough when climbing in!

scope2_small.jpg

The scope is seen above after an afternoon of white light solar observing/imaging. The home made Baader filter mount can be seen, but here it is close up. There are thin plywood covers that swing into place to protect the filters when not in use. The large guard around the finder scope aids lining up with the sun with being blinded while peeping through the finder scope.

scope7_small.jpg

When being stored or transported, the scope, eyepieces, guide cam, flat field panel, dew heaters and DSLR widefield bracket also live in this box.

scope3_small.jpg

Guiding is via a TS 9mm OAG and SX Lodestar guidecam. The camera was modified with a cable strain relief bracket.

scope10_small.jpg lodestar4_small.jpg

To improve my 'flats' I dropped the stretched T-shirt method and made this 12v flat field panel which fits over the end of the scope, so no light spill at a dark site, and it runs from the dew heater outputs.

flatfield1_small.jpg flatfield2_small.jpg

Nikon cameras can only do 30 second exposures, or 'bulb' setting for longer. To avoid vibration, the 'bulb' needs an infra-red trigger. The Shoestring USB-IR Camera Trigger is operated via a laptop, with the DSLR Shutter software, it can be used to set the length and number of exposures.

scope6_small.jpg

Hi,

Here is my C11, sitting on top of an Astrotec Pier. Out of shot is our summerhouse, [aka observing HQ] and of course the pier base is isolated from the decking. Now all we need is some clear sky.....

Robin

post-10602-0-36454800-1362870727_thumb.j

Archived