Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An unexpected new amateur...

Tim Armes

Hi all,

I've always been fascinated by astronomy and the discoveries that science is making, and this gave my wife the idea of buying me a telescope for my birthday....

After looking into it and getting herself totally confused she let me on her idea and told me to buy one myself :)

I thought it was a great idea - I'd never really considered it before. A little investigation later and I found myself buying an 8" Meade LightBridge. It's all a bit spur of the moment, I'll admit, but I'm really looking forwards to seeing some of the wonders of the universe first hand - even if they're dim, fuzzy and lacking colour :icon_eek:

As a professional photographer I was initially inclined to go for a telescope that I could mount a camera to, but the good ones are very expensive for someone who's just starting out, so I decided to take pleasure in chasing objects and seeing them in real time with a Dob. I'll see what the future brings once I've had (much) more experience.

Although I'm a Brit I live in the countryside of the South of France so the skies should offer me some great seeing. That said, the very day I bought the scope ended weeks of perfect whether and we've been rained out ever since!

Tim

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the very day I bought the scope ended weeks of perfect whether and we've been rained out ever since!
that's a well known phenomenon when new kit is bought. Welcome to Astronomy and SGL, many happy hours with your dob.

Carole

Hi Tim and welcome,

Our family summer holiday this year is to be spent travelling to and from Cannes over a two week period in late July / early August, and I fully intend to take my 150P along for the ride to catch some of those darker skies!!

Hope the weather clears soon!

Best Wishes,

Jim

Hi, welcome.

Good choice of scope, 8" is enough to be worth having but still very portable and dobs are great for 'just taking a peek'.

Derek

Welcome to SGL Tim. New scopes always come with free cloud, but it doesn't last forever. You should be able to see loads with your 8" LB and a good dark sky.

Archived