Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy have i got it wrong ?

Gadget

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly true.

A hobby is made to relax and forget our cares for a while. If and when you start feeling pressure you don't feel comfortable with, it's time to step back, or find a new hobby. (I love the suggestion that you can make up star names to impress the wife! You Brits sure have a fine sense of humour!)

And it is so true that amateur astronomers almost never actually look at stars!

People are always surprised by this, and ask "what is it that you look at, then?"

I'm so used to this question that I string the answer together:

Everything-but-stars: Planets-moons-nebulae-galaxies-asteroids-comets-clusters-flares-spots-auarorae, you know, stuff.

I love the look on their faces when they realize the sky is full of stuff they never think about!

I think that's an opportunity to both learn and enjoy. There are many interesting things about stars, like the largest, brightest, closest to Earth, double or multiple stars. Write down a list of the brightest stars and go-to them, try to spot them with your eye off the telescope, see what shapes their constellations form, move to the next one, try to go back and spot the previous correctly after a while. I think that can be enjoying in its own way and it also helps you learn to orientate in the night sky.

Considering you probably don't look at too many stars (apart from a few doubles) but rather galaxies, nebulae, open clusters, globulars, etc, I'd have been inclined to say "I'm looking at stuff you can't see with the naked eye" or "that's not a star it's a planet!" lol.

Anyway - how many times has she pressed your trousers all these years and still got a double crease? hehe :)

I have a Planisphere and several star charts, that's how I've spent time learning their names, distance and other info. Plus by star hopping that has enabled me to learn relatively quickly too. I feared that if I got a GoTo operated system, I would miss that valuable education and be put in the same position that you're in now. Stellarium has helped me learn the names too, alongside being able to 'join the dots' when learning the constellations

I have a Planisphere and several star charts, that's how I've spent time learning their names, distance and other info. Plus by star hopping that has enabled me to learn relatively quickly too. I feared that if I got a GoTo operated system, I would miss that valuable education and be put in the same position that you're in now. Stellarium has helped me learn the names too, alongside being able to 'join the dots' when learning the constellations

I am an avid star-hopper too, as goto was just way too expensive when I bought my scope. The big finder I made keeps me happy without goto, and indeed, this has taught me many star names. However, I would not be afraid of goto. Many amateurs know far more star names than professionals do. They are not worried about that.

I am an avid star-hopper too, as goto was just way too expensive when I bought my scope. The big finder I made keeps me happy without goto, and indeed, this has taught me many star names. However, I would not be afraid of goto. Many amateurs know far more star names than professionals do. They are not worried about that.

I completely agree Michael. :) I wanted to feel confident knowing my way around the sky first which is why I opted for keeping it simple to begin with. I am continually learning my way around and I guess that never really ends; so much to see and learn it's almost impossible - which is why GoTo will help, especially when it comes to making the sessions faster in the future. Cheers

Nooooo...:) you must rip the drives and evil computer gadgets off your scope and push it around the sky by hand. You must also learn the name/number of all stars/objects down to magnitude 8 (including southern hemisphere 'cos you might visit one day). You must be able to accurately draw any constellation on demand and know at what time each one rises on any given day of the year. Once you've done all that your almost there apart from making a mental note of when each outer planet is at opposition for the next decade, what the moon phase will be on any day this decade and always know ISS passes for the next 14 days.

naaaah - stuff that, just do whatever you enjoy doing! :p:icon_eek:

Yeppp exctly. :rolleyes:

Burrits nice ter know!

JJ

Hmm local and sounding like the kind of person who would fit in well with us here...

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-events-local-meetings/97315-wolves-black-country-observing-group.html

:)

In the same diocese I bet!

And I have no doubt about fitting in Aitch, but I am not very physically mobile... and no serious 'scope, unless I borrow my daughter's. I have a car though... :)

Jon...

In the same diocese I bet!

And I have no doubt about fitting in Aitch, but I am not very physically mobile... and no serious 'scope, unless I borrow my daughter's. I have a car though... :)

Jon...

Well you're welcome when we do get around to meeting up (not that often I'm afraid) scope or not.

As far as your mobility goes I obviously don't know your exact circumstances but just to say it is at the end of dirt track which can be driven down (even with the low suspension of my SAAB) and then we just set up around the cars so nowhere to walk to or carry gear (plus helping hands if required).

Keep your eye on the thread leading up to the weekened (especially if forecast is clear and moon is set to be out of the way). If we turn up and the weather doesn't behave then it's a trip to the pub for a pint (I get a distinct feeling it's my round next :)).

Thanks Aitch. I'll keep an eye open.

As for mobility, it's just a replacement knee that slows me up (or is that down?) a bit. Also, I have to have a three yard clearance around me as my walking stick is lethal!

I don't drink alcohol when I drive, but I will always stand my round!

So looking forward to it, whatever we can or can't see. :)

Jon :)

That's no moon, it's a spacestation!

People generally haven't a clue what you are on about, so, you can make up anything you like. If you say it confidently enough people will believe you :)

Someone (a lady) asked me once what was wrong with my car. I replied that the power coupling to the phase inverter was shot but if I were to reverse the polarity then the flux capacitor would bypass it. She was suitably impressed.

Amazing what a bit of StarTrek technobabble can do for you :)

People generally haven't a clue what you are on about, so, you can make up anything you like. If you say it confidently enough people will believe you :)

Someone (a lady) asked me once what was wrong with my car. I replied that the power coupling to the phase inverter was shot but if I were to reverse the polarity then the flux capacitor would bypass it. She was suitably impressed.

Amazing what a bit of StarTrek technobabble can do for you ;)

I presume this is when your DeLorean broke down in the future?

:)

Amazing what a bit of StarTrek technobabble can do for you ;)

:icon_salut:Nice one. I like to couple the logic circuit of a Bambleweener sub-meson brain to an atomic motion-vector plotter suspended in a strong Brownian motion generator (but don't mention the latter is a good hot cuppa :))

Archived