Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lyra Optic 102mm f/11 Achromat Doublet

Lyra Optic 102mm f/11 Achromat Doublet

Subtitle: The Ha solar scope project begins

Received the new scope from Lyra Optic a few days ago. Beautiful "William Optics" standard of fit and finish with flawlessly finished white tube and black anodised parts.The coatings on the objective have no noticeable flaws.The focuser was, for a change, perfectly set up with no adjustments needed at all and was very smooth indeed. The dew-shield moves smoothly and is also quite long. A WO type 50mm finder bracket is included. The photos show the scope as supplied except for the WO long dovetail which I've added. Glen at Lyra Optics star tests each scope and adjusts the focuser if needed before shipping to make sure it's up to scratch.

The scope was designed by Vic Marris at Stellarvue, and manufactured by Kunming United Optics, and sold under the Stellarvue brand name until just recently when they decided that they didn't want to sell achromats. Fortunately it's still available, but under several brand names now. By all accounts it's a remarkable performer for an achromat, and with it's long focal length CA is not a problem. I did read of a recent head to head with a TAL100RS and the 102 f/11 won with a bit better optics and in particular less CA, but then it is over £100.00 more expensive so that's perhaps not too surprising.

While I will of course be putting it to good use for some lunar / planetary observing for now, the real reason I purchased it was as the basis for an Ha solar scope using parts from a PST, a Baader 110mm ERF and a Coranado BF15 blocking filter. Should make a cracking Ha scope. It'll take a few months to get all the parts together (and to pay for them!!!). I have tried it with my Baader Herschel wedge and the Skytee 2 mount and it works really well and shows good granulation on the sun's surface. I've enjoyed using my Lunt 60Ha B1200 but now I want more.:D Unfortunately the Lunt will have to go in a while to help pay for the project. :p

• Fully multi-coated objective with 99%+ transmission
  • Collimateable lens cell
  • Hand corrected objective lens
  • All aluminium tube and dew shield
  • Baffled tube
  • Dual Speed 360° rotating 2" Crayford focuser
  • Draw tube adjustment length 85mm
  • CNC tube rings
  • 50mm Finder Bracket and Shoe
  • Length with dew shield retracted 39"
  • Length with dew shield extended 47"
  • Weight of OTA with rings 10lbs 4 ozs

John

Good-looking scope indeed. I do wonder a bit at the 99% transmission claim. The thickness of a 102mm achromatic objective is probably in the order of 10mm, and most glass transmits no more than 95% through that kind of thickness. They probably refer to the losses due to reflection at the glass-air interfaces (more important as a source of internal reflections and glare). Given that you want to use the scope for solar work, a 5% loss of light is the least of your worries.

as a tal rs owner i have to say the lyra is probably worth the extra £100 or so, as it has a dual speed focuser, something i would like on the tal, a lovely looking refractor

That's a lovely looking scope John :p

I very nearly ordered one of those a few months ago - they were just under £300 back then :D

I just could not come up with an excuse to explain to my wife as to why I need a 102mm F/6.5 ED and a 102mm F/11 achro ;)

Smashing looking scope - have you seen the special edition one in silver?

Lyra Optic - Telescopes

Looks the biz too :p

Yes I've seen the photos of the 80mm f/15 and the 150mm f/8 ones with the polished aluminium tubes. Those you would want to leave on display in your lounge. :D

The TAL is a nice scope at a bargain price (I used to have one once) but the 102m /f/11 just has that bit more and I agree well worth that extra £100.00.

I was a bit surprised at the fit and finish of the scope when it arrived. I was expecting something more akin to a SkyWatcher Evostar or something similar but didn't expect WO like fit and finish. It actually looks better than it does in the photos. ;)

John

That's a lovely looking scope John ;)

I very nearly ordered one of those a few months ago - they were just under £300 back then :D

I just could not come up with an excuse to explain to my wife as to why I need a 102mm F/6.5 ED and a 102mm F/11 achro :D

Almost as bad as me for collecting refractors. :p

I now have:

1. 80mm Triplet APO
  2. 90mm Achromat
  3. 98mm Triplet APO
  4. 102mm Achromat

John

That's a beautiful scope John, congratulations:).

IMHO you can't beat traditional white finish on a long frac;):D.

Any chance of a first light report on general night sky use?

Glen, that's a lovely scope you've supplied there, hope you can sell a few more:)

Dave

I've recently completed my own Tal-based PST mod but I can see that the Lyra optic scope is a serious alternative. Will be interested to follow your progress John.

Incidentaly I went to see Glen at Lyra this week about a custom project that it turns out would be prohibitively costly, but I did manage to persuade myself into getting one of the 80mm f15s instead. I can assure you all that it definitely won't be sitting in my lounge when the skies are clear! I'll be interesting to see how it compares to the larger aperture Tal and my smaller-but-faster Megrez 72.

By the way, along with Patrick at Telescope Service, Glen is easily the most helpful supplier I've had the pleasure of dealing with. One of the good guys, for sure.

That's a lovely looking scope John :p

I just could not come up with an excuse to explain to my wife as to why I need a 102mm F/6.5 ED and a 102mm F/11 achro ;)

Have you tried counting her shoes? Often works for me :D:D:D

Hi John

There's nothing like a long FL refractor - seems like a real telescope to me (sorry everyone who's not a refractor addict :))

Thanks for sharing another great looking scope with us. I'd love to be able to justify a purchase, but with the FS102 on the bookcase...just can't quite force myself - yet :)

Looking forward to reading about the new project.

Cheers

Mark

I also have 102mm F/11 from Lyra Optics. I have used it on a WO Easy Touch mount, which takes the weight but is not stable enough when focusing. I will therefore be mounting it on an old Fullerscope Mk111 mount which I am the process of adapting to fit on a field tripod. I have however been very impressed with the scope on the few occasions I have used it. The double double in Lyra was beautify split into four pin point stars with diffraction rings. I also have a Megrez 90 which is also very good. However, after looking through this achromat I am considering selling the Megrez.

I would also add the Glen at Lyra Optics is a nice guy to deal with.

Kevin

A lovely scope there John Im sure it'll be a belter on Ha solar.

I have an Orion Telescope & Binoculars 102ED F7 which was a Kunming and the mechanics are identical, the focuser and rings just a longer tube. I see theyve put a better finder bracket on teh focuser now though, mine has a standard Synta which is OK but yours is posher:)

Philj

• 3 weeks later...
I like the look of that ...

I ordered one! :D

Congradulations. I know you'll like it. :)

Even though I'm going to be doing the PST mod on mine I have had it out for regular observing as well. Fantastic lunar / planetary scope. The depth of field makes focusing easy and the views were some of the best if not the best I've ever seen through an achromat with CA being particularly well controlled. I can see why a few Megrez 90 owners have sold them after trying out this scope. ;)

BTW Glen at Lyra Optics is a great guy to deal with.

John

Archived