Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

helios carbon fibre 6" f5

well its finished, the transformation of the old helios st 150

carbon fibre tube and dew shield, 9x50 r/a finder

and a dual speed crayford focuser! im very pleased with the changes and it star tests spot on, will be great for galaxy hunting:D

have to confess the carbon is fake! its carbon vinyl :D

post-21509-13387760937_thumb.jpg

post-21509-133877609378_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it would be interesting to guage people's reactions when you ask them to 'see how light carbon fibre is'. I wonder how many would be like the 'emperor's new clothes' story and confirm that it's much lighter than they thought!

Nice job. how did you go about connecting the lens cell.. its a thread it is not?. did you have it milled

I think it's a self adhesive sheet. So just stick it on the tube...at least that's what i'm hoping as i wouldn't mind doing this myself.

Right.. I've already got some of that on order for my AR80.. looks great and very cheap, should be waiting for me when I get home. I have been thinking about ordering a true (real) carob fiber tube for my 200P DS though. Theres a few stockists in china that will ship.

You nalmost had me there Jules In was about to ask where you got the CF tube from:D Looks very posh that much nicer than the plain black gloss paintwork. Does it feel lighter in weight:D

phil

thanks for all the great comments, i should have saved this for 1st april and tried to pass it of as a real carbon fibre job, got to admit it turned out better than i planned, still got some air bubbles to sort, and had a silver sticker made "HELIOS ST-150" this has been worth doing as the objective lens is in great condition

I tell you what...that is very very good.

I normally avoid things like this because they usually look tacky.

Not this! In fact...it will solve my soon to be scope issue. I'm not a fan of white OTAs and I reckon I'll give it a go.

Nice one nightfisher :D

Any linkies?

yes got it from evilbay, but have a think about how you will apply it, its very forgiving but you want to get it right 1st time, pm me for more details if needed

Nah, it's cool. I do this as part of my job over the years (well, using sticky vinyl to cover things...never a scope :D).

Just never crossed my mind as a solution to white OTAs ;)

Very grateful :D

Saying that...I also know how horribly wrong things can go! :p

I'll have to plan carefully, as you say :D

Jules, that was worth waiting for!:D. I must say it had me fooled! And I bet you will think the views look better than before..maybe the CA will be less, the views sharper, the contrast better...much cheaper than buying an Apo or a Chromacor:D..

Great job my man!

All we need now is a very detailed first light report..

cheers

Dave

Good luck with the first light. They are cracking scopes for galaxy spotting! :D

My sheet of fake Carbon is ordered from Evilbay.....will hopefully pimp the 90 next week.

Archived