Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

helios carbon fibre 6" f5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nightfisher, yours has a 'darker' look about it - a bit more 'industrial'. Looks really good and suits the style of the scope very much! I'd love to try one of those 6" f5s one day - especially a carbon-suited one!

Ant

Looks very good I'm just about to do my 8" newt

How did you pop the bubbles? And where did you get the sticker made ?

when i did the carbon wrap i rolled the tube onto the sheet, lucky the st150 is really solid, using a model making knife i "stabbed" each bubble with the point, then pressed the carbon back down.

there are lots of companys that do the lettering, look for lazer cut sign makers

Looks like a new scope Jules...;):D

Now, I'm sure I have a an old Carbon Fibre fishing rod in the shed (my other hobby:p)...the rod is 13 foot long, I wonder if I unravel it carefully I'd have enough to cover about 4foot of an F8 EVO? Would need 3 or 4 rods methinx:D.

And Jules, being CF "lookalike" rather than true CF, you're scope is less likely to act as a lightning conduction and kill you!..Ant, hope your life insurance is up to date!:p:eek:

only joking..

Dave

Looks like a new scope Jules...;):D

Now, I'm sure I have a an old Carbon Fibre fishing rod in the shed (my other hobby:p)...the rod is 13 foot long, I wonder if I unravel it carefully I'd have enough to cover about 4foot of an F8 EVO? Would need 3 or 4 rods methinx:D.

And Jules, being CF "lookalike" rather than true CF, you're scope is less likely to act as a lightning conduction and kill you!..Ant, hope your life insurance is up to date!:p:eek:

only joking..

Another angler eh!

dont even think about carbon wrap for the evostar, go with the tal white, much nicer on a long focus frac! if i end up with a 150 evo it will get the white treatment

This looks the biz.

When you have wrapped the CF all the way around the OTA, how do you make a nice neat job of the join?.

I have a F8.3 Helios, might give this ago.

Paul

i cut the sheet to the correct size, to gain a tidy seem, but i did not allow for stretch in the material, so the join has over lapped by a couple of mm, but it is on the underside and does not bother me

• 2 months later...

An important update:

i have the st150 on the mount, the sky is fairly good and the stars are very crisp!

using the 40mm plossl at mo, hope to find some thing interesting tonight, so far very pleased with the wide field views

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

One question is: How you managed putting edges together than they meet after going around tube?

Was it overlap? or edge to edge?

Where did you made edge? on same spot there tube metal connects?

Info needed!

Cheers!

could be a big job on a 250px at a guess you might need to spend maybe £30 on vinyl wrap and put something on the inside of the holes you are covering, or dust will collect on the sticky parts, have the seem where you will see it least

i fancy taking carbon of and getting it powder coated in white, that was plan A

Aye, paid 30 something for a high quality automotive vinyl. large enought to leave for excesses. Will post indepth process later as it will be done. :)

if i can give one bit of advice, it would be take your time and have a good think about the job start to finish;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived