Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro newbie!

Mattyg

Hi all

Have always since I can remember had an interest or strange urge to keep looking up... I now wanna take it a stage further, I've been doing a bit of readin and study and am gettin a star chart so I can start knowin what Im looking at before I make the big step of spending my 150 quid (shoild i save a bit more?) on a telescope ..... done a bit of research but theres so many types and mirrors and lens and eye pieces..... can some lend me a bit of friendly advice .... would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks

Matt:headbang:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Matt,

A warm welcome to SGL. Learning your way round the sky is a good start. As well as getting a star chart try downloading Stellarium (google will reveal from where), this is a free planetarium programme used by many. An intermediate step you may want to consider is some binos, they give excellent widefield views and reveal man objects not visible to the naked eye.

Steve

Thanks Steve, have read binos are a good start what sort of magnification should i be lookin for i do i just grab any old pair for starters?

Matt

Personally I would go for at least a pair of 10x50. That is a magnification of 10x and the lenses are 50mm in diameter. This gives a good mix of useful magnification and light gathering power.

I have a pair of 15x70's, which I use a lot while my rig is imaging, they can be a little unweildy at times.

Steve

Hi Matt & Welcome to the SGL... we started with 15x70 binos & saw loads through them...you'll be amazed at whats viewable with them...they'll keep ya busy while ya save up for that 'scope

Welcome to SGL Matt, plenty of good advice regarding bino's. 10x50's will be great and shouldn't cost too much and will give you a lovely field of view for finding your way round.

Hi Matt, Welcome to SGL :)

Binos are a good start, maybe get yourself a Planisphere too. Ideal for outdoor use, very useful for learning the skies and seeing what will be visible at any given time.

Don't worry too much about eyepieces for now, just use what comes with the 'scope when you get it. Later, with eyepiece time under your belt you'll know what needs replacing, or if there's a gap that needs filling.

As to which 'scope to get, well ... If you could give us an idea of your interests - lunar, planetary, deep space objects, etc. - then we'll be able to make some suggestions.

If you could stretch the budget, then for a bit less than 300 quid there are some cracking starter 'scopes - like an 8" Dobsonian or a 6" Newtonian.

Hi Matt, welcome to the Lounge.

Here's another vote for Binoculars, they will still be an important part of your kit when you get a scope, and will show you things the scope won't be able to fit in it's field of view.

Enjoy your stay.

Archived