Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Should I do something?

Mr Noble

My cage does not normally get rattled, but today it has.

I'm not going to say who the retailer is at this stage as I'm not sure if its proper to name and shame, but I'd like your thoughts on this topic.

This is the 2nd time the same thing has happened, so I'm going to voice my thoughts.

I bought a zoom eyepiece a few months back online, and the website and photograph clearly showed a "skywatcher" EP so I went ahead and bought it.

When it arrived, it did not say Skywatcher on it anywhere and was totally unbranded. I was told that it was the exact same one and not to worry about it.

The other day I ordered a moon filter from the same company, the photo clearly showing an Antares logo on the side of the filter, so I went ahead and bought it.

I've just got home from work and opened a totally unbranded one which just says ND96(0.6) on the side. No mention of brand name.

Is this kind of misleading retailing legal? Is it correct?

While I'm sure the filter and EP will "do the same job, Sir" I have no idea if they are "as good" or cheap imitations.

I also assume that if I were to list two EP's in our for sale section, the one branded Skywatcher would sell more quickly and probably for more money that the unbranded one would. Same for the filter.

TBH, I can't be bothered to do anything about it, but I just think its wrong.

If I "sold" you a Hugo Boss suit online and posted you a suit from TK Max, you'd probably be a bit annoyed and want your money back. They could both be the same suit made by the same guy in the same factory, but you'd still want the one you'd paid for!!

[rant over]:)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you Mr Noble. If the photo shows a specific branded part, then that is what you should receive. The ONLY way round this would be if the seller clearly stated that the part you receive will be unbranded, or some similar comment.

Think I know the product/seller you are refering to

They are probably right saying its 100% the same product.

Only difference is the SW sticker on the box (or not)

Can look at this from 2 points of view

1. In the end, are you happy with the product and price

2. The seller could be accused of keyword spamming (bit naughty)

Agree with previous - clear violation. Name & shame - even if its one of the big boys out there.. I have a feeling I know who it is though.

EDIT - The thing is, where does one draw the line - say you ordered a Skywatcher Reflector - and they sent a generic unbranded one but said "Its exactly the same, its even made in the same factory" I know I certainly wouldn`t be happy with that - and I am normally a pretty easy going guy.

Just a thought...

is it that they photoshop the brand name onto the photo of the item so when buying you know that it is that brand. And that you actually have the correct item.

I don't know enough obout these items to know if the brand name is printed on the actual item.

If this is the case, it is a little bad of them to add the logo/name to the photo.

if this isn't the case, i clarely don't know what i'm talking about and have just wasted your time reading this post:p

Advertising Standards now apply to websites as well, so it may be they are in breach of those too.

I would complain and ask for both items to be replaced, at their expense. You only have their 'say so' that they are exactly the same and they *may* be being economical with the truth to effect a sale.

As someone who has just started in this interesting and absorbing hobby I have been confused by the practice of advertising a particular brand - and sending another - yet the products appear to be exactly the same!!

My instance was the ordering of a Scopeteknix MRF red dot finder and receiving a Rigel version!! - and the invoice stating it as such.

Making further internet enquiries I interestingly I found this site:-

multi-reticle finder

Which showed a Stellarvue version of the same scope but with a toned down red dot image for use at night as it seems the Rigel one can be a bit bright. It appears to be an exclusive version to Stellarvue in the USA and they don't appear to ship to the UK.

Also Williams Optics have their own brand:-

WO Red Dot Finder - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

Which appears to be the rifle scope version as it can be used in daylight.

It is very confusing and who actually makes the finder anyway?

I do not have a problem with own branding as such but it looks from this thread as if there is a kind of faux "Own Brand" marketing which may be quite widespread - perhaps a phone call before ordering "on line" is required to check out what the actual brand is - before ordering.

I am pleased with the finder (although I would have liked a less bright red dot) but

I do think that suppliers should be straight with us and supply what we ordered unless by agreement another brand is to be sent.

If it was me I would return the goods for a refund and go shopping at a reputable dealer. You paid for items of an accepted quality. What you have got is anyones guess.

I have been to an astro shop where I was offered alternatives to branded items, with a corresponding reduction in price. Fair enough. But, haven't been in the same situation as the OP.

At the very least I think it's worth discussing with the supplier.

To those who have PM'd me asking for me to spill the beans, I think it's better not to on an open forum. I don't really think what they've done is "that" bad but just wondered if others had experienced similar antics from other outlets.

The company in question are actually very good and very nice knowledgable people who have helped me out a few times in the past so I'm not going to slam dunk them :)

I just think that maybe if they're reading this thread, maybe it may help to stop it happening to others in future.

If I'm honest, my main concern is that I'd actually quite like to sell the zoom EP that I bought and buy three Hyperions instead, but I'm not sure if I'll actually get less for it due to it being unbranded.

I'm 99% sure that it is the same as the SW and / or WO version of the same zoom, I just feel that I'd be easier to sell if it actually had the brand name printed on the side.

Oddly enough the moon filter was the same price as other websites sell their unbranded ones for. I only bought it from this place because their appeared to be made by Antares rather than an unbranded one. Naughty!!

Kudos to the Original poster for showing restraint - as much as we all love a good witch hunt - I think discretion is the better part of valour in this case.

(But admittedly I`m gagging to know who it it..)

I've bought coloured filter sets that contained Antares badged and non-badged filters within the sets. I didn't notice any difference between the filters and I think the Antares badge is just that, a badge on a mass produced filter.

I realize this doesn't cover the "honesty" side of the issue but I thought I'd mention it.

The Baader Hyperion Zoom is superior to the SW one (according to SaN magazine and me lol). I don't know the WO zoom - but I suspect it's on a par with the Hyperion at least.

If I'd ordered a Televue eyepiece and got an unbranded one I'd be more than a little miffed - especially if told to "not worry cos they're the same" - fury and all sorts of bizarre and indescribable violence spring to mind lol.

You're very restrained not to send it back, demand a refund, and name and shame. :)

Those are all (exagerated) examples where the branded product is a different product than the unbranded product. I don't think thats the case here.

Mainly why I'm being restrained.

I do actually believe the retailer that they are the same product in different guises.

Two things though.

1) I would expect to pay less for an unbranded version. (which I think I did with the moon filter - but it still showed an Antares one in the photo and stated Antares in the invoice)

2) Why would the retailer buy unbranded goods and sell them as "the same as the branded ones" if they could get the branded ones for the same price?? Surely they'd want to buy and sell the branded ones too. I fear that they are paying less for the unbranded ones and selling them for only a little less than the branded ones. Certainly the case with my Hyperflex zoom EP.

If I'd known, and had done some more research, I'd have bought the Baader one. (Although after reading some posts about zooms in general, I may have gone for a 8mm, 13mm and 24mm baader instead - but that's a different topic) :)

I agree with you on both 1) and 2) (esp. 2!!) but thats down to the individual, I was just putting the point across about the filter. I honestly would be "bothered" in this case...but thats just me (obviously!):)

I'm also not sure the Baader Hyperion zoom is the same one that Skywatcher/ WO offer. Could be wrong though.....and your points on the badging still stand in any case.

Maybe the unbranded ones are copies that didn`t make it through the `brands` quality control - they go back to the factory and are sold on wholesale to various retailers as unbranded versions with the caveat they cannot sell them as the brandname ones... just a thought.

You placed an order for specific branded items and paid the requested price but in the end you didn't receive what you asked for. It's immaterial whether they are presumed to be of the same quality as the branded ones - what you received was not what was advertised. Your point regarding reselling these 'unbranded' items is an important one as the resale value for many of us allows us to explore and indulge in experimenting with kit in the knowledge that in real terms, these 'trials' might not in the end work out very expensive if we know we can sell them on. I know that in the greater scheme of things, your purchases are relatively inexpensive compared to what some astro items can cost and so feel less inclined to make a fuss but there is a principle here and that is you MUST get what you paid for.

It would have been fine if they suggested alternatives had the originals not been stock but they didn't. I personally would send it all back and ask for a refund. I also don't see a problem in naming this company which I feel would be appropriate here within this community as long as the facts given are accurate and true. I for one would appreciate that knowledge in order that I can make an informed decision to shop elsewhere.

James

Archived