Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New member with no knowledge.

M3 Andy

Hi everybody.

Im Andy from walsall west mid's and always been intrested in the sky's.

Now iv got my own place and a balcony i want a telescope.

Now here's the tricky part lol i have no idea what i want. iv got a budget of around £300/£350 to spend. i would like somthing that i could set up in minets and has low maintinance. i dont want a cheap and tacky thing.

any help would be brill....thank you.:)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, and welcome to the SGL Astronomy Forum.

Don't worry, you will soon become capable as an amateur astronomer, as you will find lots of willing help and advice from a great many knowledgable members here.

As for a simple but useful first telescope, you could do a lot worse than one of these.

It's a 8 inch Dobsonian, but they are un complicated, and easy to use.

Ron.

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dobsky200

thank you for the welcome. wow that's some kit lol. is there anything abit smaller as iv got limited space in my flat and would not want to damage one in anyway?

Sorry, I should have realised space might have been an issue for you. However, Nightfishers recommendation is worth looking at. They will require less space.

Ron.

Hi Andy and welcome to SGL.

A small refractor such as a skywatcher 102mm Startravel is a good starting point and a goto version comes into your budget.

Thanks. i do want a decent one to start off with as i know it will get used alot now iv got my own place and with this sites help i will see more than ever!:)

You could always consider the Skymax 102 - 4 inch instead of 5 inch. With GOTO would still be within your budget.

Some say the optics are better than the 127mm - and it's a bit lighter so the GOTO mount has less work to do.

What's the light pollution like from your balcony - if it's bad then you may be limited to planets, brighter clusters and DSOs - something the 102 will be fine for.

Get a 32mm GSO plossl eyepiece to complement the 24mm and 10mm supplied with the scope for the widest possible field of view - almost 1.5 degrees.

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Andy and welcome - good luck with the scope, the choice is daunting, but there have been some good suggestions, why not browse through FLO's site and pick a few that suit your budget and space requirements (they don't sell tat) then pop over to the beginners advice section and ask the pros and cons of each

Good luck

You could always consider the Skymax 102 - 4 inch instead of 5 inch. With GOTO would still be within your budget.

Some say the optics are better than the 127mm - and it's a bit lighter so the GOTO mount has less work to do.

What's the light pollution like from your balcony - if it's bad then you may be limited to planets, brighter clusters and DSOs - something the 102 will be fine for.

Get a 32mm GSO plossl eyepiece to complement the 24mm and 10mm supplied with the scope for the widest possible field of view - almost 1.5 degrees.

Clear skies

Paul

hi, thanks for all your comment's and help. im new to this so can you brake it down for me please.

4 inch instead of 5? i take it that mean's the size of the lense?

with GOTO? sorry i dont no what that is lol.

the optics are better than the 127mm?

GOTO mount?

oh and all this, Get a 32mm GSO plossl eyepiece to complement the 24mm and 10mm supplied with the scope for the widest possible field of view - almost 1.5 degrees.

realy sorry to be a thick bloke i just want to know alot.

thank you.

Hi Andy, welcome to SGL. Don't worry, I was in exactly the same situation as you not to long ago, when looking at getting my first scope. There's so much to learn, but it really doesn't take long, and it'll all just click into place!

Have a wander over to the beginner's advice sections in the forum, all the terminology is explained there in great detail and it's very easy to understand.

Don't worry about asking questions, everyone here is very friendly and we've all been in your shoes at one time!

Good luck with it, and clear skies for when you get your scope!

Z

Archived