Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New member with no knowledge.

M3 Andy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy

Aperture is the diameter of the scopes lens or mirror - bigger means more light gathering capacity - the dimmer objects you will be able to see - aperture also affects the maximum possible magnification, however there are other things that affect this also.

GOTO - some telescope mounts have the ability to find and track objects once correctly aligned this is usually referred to as GOTO. You will get mixed advice on it's suitability for beginners.

Astronomical telescopes come with interchangeable eyepieces which alter the magnification - the Skymax comes with a 24mm and a 10mm. The magnification is calculated by dividing the focal length of the scope by the focal length of the eyepiece. The longer focal length eyepiece the bigger the field of view (more stars). This is useful for certain objects.

I suggest you get a copy of the book Turn Left at Orion - this explains the basics of astronomy & telescopes and will help you understand what to expect.

Have fun.

Paul

wow thanks for the very nice welcome's. this seems the place to be as your all so friendly.

I will get afew book to read and thanks DOCTOR D for the advice, im starting to understand thing abit better now lol.

Im thinking i dont need a GOTO mount now as from my balcony i can not see the hole sky. im going to be looking around this week and will be perchising my first scope next weekend.

thank.

Archived