NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkySafari 5 Released, 50% Off

Size9Hex

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just bought it. Only had a quick look but I love the new galaxy view

post-20507-0-15241100-1450379885_thumb.p

This is what it looks like with "tonight's best" highlighted. Tap any object to label it, zoom in, show constellations etc , very impressive :)

I got the notification too. Have only just recently upgraded to Sky Safari Pro 4.

Whilst its a great app I didn't think the changes were worth it from SSP3.

Have they renewed any of the images on the object descriptions? I am also running on it on a Apple 4S so its at its limit performance wise already. I would imagine this is even more power hungry..?

I've just bought it. Only had a quick look but I love the new galaxy view

image.png

This is what it looks like with "tonight's best" highlighted. Tap any object to label it, zoom in, show constellations etc , very impressive :)

Oooooo - I like the look of that! ;)

There's a cool freebie called 'Where is M13' which is a bit similar for a PC - lots of fun to play with ... while waiting for the Android version of SS5 :)

http://www.thinkastronomy.com/M13/

Still only had a quick look at it, but there seems to be a lot of very nice improvements. All the searchable items have little pics next to them to make it easy to see what you're looking for. You can also bring up an image of them from the Deep Sky Survey.

post-20507-0-75620700-1450399579_thumb.p

I agree that it's annoying that it's not possible to upgrade but from what I've seen so far it's easily worth the £15 offer price.

Impressive to see how close everything is to us. Or rather, how most of the galaxy is still just a mostly blank area on the map.

Yes it's very interesting. There's also a smattering of messiers etc that look as if they're very close to the centre. I'm not sure why but I was quite surprised at this. I'm having a bit of trouble tapping to select in Galaxy view, sometimes it works and other times it feels as if I'm trying to push my finger through the screen. :)

Anyone know if you can import kit details and observing lists from SS4Pro?

Yes Stu, ive transferred all my settings including observing lists.

Connect the device to iTunes via a PC. Then find the apps in the list. Go to the old sky safari and copy the current settings . Sky set file to the desk top. Goto Skysafari 5 and delete the equipment.txt and current settings. sky set from its directory , then copy the current setting file from your desktop into the sky safari 5 directory.

All your old settings including equipment will then be in the new app

Sorry I didn't say, you need to transfer the custom observing lists separately in the same way, but don't replace the one called "observing lists"

I upgraded to the latest version, changed my horizon to translucent, then added equatorial grid - now my horizon disappeared completely and I can't get it back!

ChrisH

Chris if you still have the old app try copying it's settings to the new one as above.

Yes Stu, ive transferred all my settings including observing lists.

Connect the device to iTunes via a PC. Then find the apps in the list. Go to the old sky safari and copy the current settings . Sky set file to the desk top. Goto Skysafari 5 and delete the equipment.txt and current settings. sky set from its directory , then copy the current setting file from your desktop into the sky safari 5 directory.

All your old settings including equipment will then be in the new app

Sorry I didn't say, you need to transfer the custom observing lists separately in the same way, but don't replace the one called "observing lists"

Brilliant, thanks very much Richard!

The tapping/selecting problem I mentioned in Galaxy view is a bug, this is was they said:

"Ok, I just tracked this down. You’re comment about the Messier List working but not the Deep Sky list was a good hint.

If the list contains objects without a known distance, I wasn’t handling them correctly when testing for whether they were tapped on. I was terminating the search too soon. This only happens for lists containing some of the more obscure galaxies. The details are unimportant. This is now fixed and will be in the next release. Sorry."

Looking on the support forum there are a couple of other bugs, one to do with night vision that's annoying a few people, so I'd guess they'll be a new release shortly :)

Is it possible to easily transfer custom landscapes from previous versions? I've installed SS5pro and was hoping it would have picked up my landscapes from SS4. Attached is one of my sites the Rollright stones in Oxfordshire.

Mel32a4e8aebb3f033fd5a68e7b52e30882.jpg

Still only had a quick look at it, but there seems to be a lot of very nice improvements. All the searchable items have little pics next to them to make it easy to see what you're looking for. You can also bring up an image of them from the Deep Sky Survey.

attachicon.gifimage.png

I agree that it's annoying that it's not possible to upgrade but from what I've seen so far it's easily worth the £15 offer price.

have you got this linked to your nexus richard ?

Archived