Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fantastic antique 8" refractor and accesories up for grabs

Friend of mine just told me about this. Apparently the Port Elizabeth (South Africa) 8-inch Thos Cooke & Sons refractor telescope is up for sale with some wonderful accessories. If anyone happens to know the winning numbers for Saturday lotto  - please PM me ;)

There's a bunch of pics at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130932591@N08/

and apparently anyone interested is invited to email them at cooke.telescope.auction@gmail.com before the 3rd of October this year

Imagine this in the right setting!

With the weather here, not in the UK that's for sure.

Well the thing is Mike, in the UK you need a beautiful instrument because for every night you spend looking through it, you'll spend 10 looking at it! Outback Australia or Arizona your set up can be ugly as sin, cos everyone's too busy looking at the stars to let you turn the lights on anyway :D

Well the thing is Mike, in the UK you need a beautiful instrument because for every night you spend looking through it, you'll spend 10 looking at it! Outback Australia or Arizona your set up can be ugly as sin, cos everyone's too busy looking at the stars to let you turn the lights on anyway :D

As a long-time resident of the Sonoran Desert, let me dispel a rumour: while we do get perhaps more than our fair share of clear nights in Arizona, we also enjoy what are inaccurately termed monsoons. Sometime in June just about every year, the dewpoint rises above 15 C for a few consecutive days. From that point until after the equinox, our daily weather pattern typically starts with clear skies and rapidly increasing temperatures early in the day, cloud buildup over the mountains throughout the afternoon, and often a dust and lightning storm toward evening. Sometimes we get rain, which can be torrential for short intervals if you happen to be under a particularly large cell. Most nights through the summer months are cloudy over most of the state. Even after 34 years, it still amazes me that we can see a heavy afternoon rain, yet the air remains uncomfortably warm throughout. Should you ever wish to visit Arizona (or most of the desert Southwest for the matter) to observe the night sky, be sure to coordinate with someone who knows the weather patterns.

We're nearing the end of this cycle for the year, or at least I hope so. We've actually seen a number of clear nights through the summer, which is quite unusual. Never the less, I've been waiting for more than two weeks for the opportunity to open the observatory long enough to get some calibration data from a new camera.

In general, we should get many clear nights through the winter months and until next May, however this is an El Nino (imagine a tilde over the second 'n') year and there are strong prospects for far more clouds than average.

As for the telescope in South Africa, it would be wonderful to see someone restore it the way Ralph Nye and his team have done for the Clark refractor at Lowell Observatory. Old instruments such as the Cooke are significant not only for their contribution to the advancement of the science, but also because they represent the state of the art at the time of their construction.  One must hope that an institution or wealthy benefactor will step up to keep the telescope and its mount from falling into disrepair.

................  .. for the telescope in South Africa, it would be wonderful to see someone restore it the way Ralph Nye and his team have done for the Clark refractor at Lowell Observatory. Old instruments such as the Cooke are significant not only for their contribution to the advancement of the science, but also because they represent the state of the art at the time of their construction.  One must hope that an institution or wealthy benefactor will step up to keep the telescope and its mount from falling into disrepair.

I'm sure this will be the case, as only someone who cares will be taking this under their wing. :smiley:

Archived