Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FILTERS........

I just bought an 82A blue, but as it only arrived today no idea what improvement if any it offers...

My favourite filters are not the coloured ones you pictured (the 82A is my first of such, tho I read a positive review of the 11, yellow-green, once, so may try one). My usual suspects are (mainly) a UHC for  stuff like M42 and M57 and an OIII for the same...both offer an increase in detail/make the nebulousity 'pop' a bit more. I have used polarisers on the Moon and Sun, but not to any great extent and mostly I go filter-less. I occasionally use the Baader Neodymium and this is slowly growimg on me for darkening my city skies (but sadly not that much!)

I've tried a lot of filters over the years. I've not found coloured ones much use to be honest. They can enhance the contrast of some planetary features but I prefer the unfiltered views. I splashed out quite a bit on a Tele Vue Planetary filter recently but, despite excellent reviews by others, I did not find it particulalrly effective and disliked the pink tint it added to the view.

The only filters I now find useful are the narrowband Omega DGM NBP and Lumicon O-III filters for nebulae plus a Kendrick white light solar filter. I do have a Lumicon H-Beta filter which I'm hoping to use to track down the Horsehead Nebula in the winter season but, as yet, I've not seen much with that one, even with my 12" dobsonian.

So similar to ghostdance I guess.

I am of the not too much use camp, having played with the idea, though I didn't try them in a very scientific way. I used to have a large collection of quality photographic filters made by Lee which are the exact same thing but bigger, I just held them over the eyepiece and viewed through them an number of times, at least it worked with mainly Radians and Panoptic's, you couldn't do it with orthos or shorter Plossl.

I thought Jupiter responded the best with a yellow and a blue, sorry I have forgotten the numbers but I believe the blue was 82A, I was not that much impressed to go out and buy taylor made ones, but it was a bit of fun.

I feel if you enjoy using them then why not!  

My three most useful filters (all 1.25") are:

* Astronomik O-III

* Astronomic UHC

* Neutral density

An O-III is highly recommended!!

I have a set - but never use my colour filters.

All the best

-Niall

As others have suggested, Oiii, UHC or H-beta filters are the most effective, especially for nebula. I have a set of colour filters but hardly ever use them, haven't come across one that I would say shows outstanding improvements.

But out of interest you may want a look at this..

http://agenaastro.com/choosing-a-color-planetary-filter.html

As has been already said the narrow band UHC and the two line filters, O-III & H-Beta, work very well indeed and every nebula observer should have at least one of them.

I used to use coloured filters (way back when I observed planets) and did find that they did indeed help when using a large newt.

So I'd say, if you're using a large newt and you actually want to observe planets then give them a go.

I have and use often:

LPF

UHC

OIII

For solar observing i have:

Hershel Wedge

ND3.0

Solar Continuum

Variable Polarising

For lunar observing i have:

Moon filter (i never use it)

A few months back i bought a set of 6 coloured filters. I used to have a similar set but gave them away as i never used them. Now i have a bigger scope, i thought the coloured filters would work better for me. I havent used them since i bought them. I bought them for my b-day,it was late,i was full of the demon drink and now i'm wondering why i bought them.

I have a UHC which I confess I rarely use,

I have a moon filter, Grey 13%, which I do like. I find the moon glare a bit hard on the eyes.

In addition I have a 38A Dark Blue which I use a fair bit on Jupiter as I find it helps define the cloud bands rather well. I have a 21 Orange which makes Jupiter look absolutely terrifying but I do use occasionally and I have a 56 Light Green which I haven't really found a use for.

Filtes for visual astronomy are vey much a personal taste and and local condidiotns situation.

Light Pollution Filter is pretty usefull for most on one streght or another, after that is all much of a muchness.

UHC and OIII filters really are just for people who love their nebulae.If Nebs are not your thing...............you really dont need either. 

With the user name "deepspacehunter" I suspect nebulae are very much on Mark (the original posters) target list :smiley:

interesting you say that John is deepsapce in our galaxy our out of it, I guess it could be outside of our solar system, depends how deep ones deep is LOL

Theres a good debate to have Earl :smiley:

Personally I regard stuff outside our solar system as "deep space". I guess because thats the line that the books I read when I was starting out in the hobby tended to take. Others will have their own definitions of course. :smiley:

Either way, O-III and UHC filters do make a notable difference to the views of some nebulae and, even though I don't use them allt that often, I'm happy to have such tools in my kit :smiley:

As said by other members, I don't use colour filters on planets. I the past when teenager I bought three of them because advised by a seller. A waste of money... Also saved with effort...!

OIII is a great filter and I am very happy with it. Although the UHC does not get as much use, I am still happy with it as it gives me nice results on the Orion nebula to me at least.

What I also like and I don't think it has been previously cited (otherwise I apologise!) is a single polarising filter. I read about this filter from Jerry (jetstream), and to me it is beneficial on the moon, Sun and Jupiter. Even Venus is nicer although I cannot see details of course. I haven't yet tried it on Saturn. I like it when rotated 45 degrees. It increases contrast, maintain brightness and, to me at least, helps stabilise the image particularly if the seeing is not very good. Of course if you have a large telescope, you might already see lots of planets details. Otherwise, this filter can give you a step up from my experience, which is limited compared to many members here. The good thing is that it is not expensive :)

Bottom line: OIII and single polarising filter. If you like something more an UHC. I never used LPF, so cannot comment on that.

Cheers, Piero

Hi all.... I am deepspacehunter, and I used to be a Star Cluster guy, but NOW, that I am equipped with a 12" DOB and Premium EPs, the Galaxies are just awesome sights, as is everything else...

Mark

and thank you all for your informative replies...

I didn't get a great deal of time on the target, that being Jupiter, but I tried thre Astronomik's UHC last night with the M/N 190mm and I can't say I was over impressed with the result, it maybe made the equatorial belts stand out a bit more at x200 (5mm Nagler), I prefer the view un-filtered without doubt, but at least i gave it a try.

Alan.

Archived