Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet ISOn by Damien Peach

Knight of Clear Skies

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to a talk by Damian Peach in August - he produces such incredible astro photographs. When I first saw this photo of Comet Ison is just blow me away - its just fantastic.

What I could not work out is how Damian was able to get such a sharp image of the comet and still have the background stars and that galaxy so sharp (no motion blur)

I went to a talk by Damian Peach in August - he produces such incredible astro photographs. When I first saw this photo of Comet Ison is just blow me away - its just fantastic.

What I could not work out is how Damian was able to get such a sharp image of the comet and still have the background stars and that galaxy so sharp (no motion blur)

Me too, I can't figure out how he's done it? Simply an amazing shot!

Pity there were no capture or location details, I would have expected some star trailing during the exposure, maybe this was a composite image for effect. A real "keeper" if the comet is lost whilst passing the Sun. :smiley:

Yes, would be very interesting to hear how the shot was achieved. I would guess it's a composite of some kind. Perhaps he used two scopes, one for the comet and one for the background. The stars show diffraction spikes, but the comet nucleus doesn't.

Yes, would be very interesting to hear how the shot was achieved. I would guess it's a composite of some kind. Perhaps he used two scopes, one for the comet and one for the background. The stars show diffraction spikes, but the comet nucleus doesn't.

Email him and ask.

James

I captured somet early hours :) awesome automatic capture aswell 

1012464_10152057594662288_536584534_n.jp

I'm fairly sure that isn't Ison.

If the time stamp is accurate then Ison was still below the horizon at that time.

Looking at the overexposed moon at the edge of the image I'm wondering if the comet like feature is an optical aberration or lens flare?

Archived