Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lidl 8x60 Binoculars

RyanL

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the slightly larger aparture and lower magnification should make them really useful for astronomy - especially if the quality is anything like their 10x50's. If you do buy a pair make sure that you test them in the shop (look round the car park with them) they can occasionally have a few "duds" within a batch.

8 x 60 is a useful combination of low magnification and aperture. At that price they might be worth a punt. I also had a pair of the Lidl Bresser 10 x 50's and they are not at all bad (compared to most of the dire cheapies in circulation).

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=3065

I can't get my old eMac to dispaly the offer on the Lidl website, but if anyone else is having the same problem, here's a link to my post on the Society for Popular Astronomy forum with a transcription of the info from the Lidl flyer available in newspapers...

http://forum.popastr...php?f=4&t=18162

Funnily enough, the flyer says that the offer starts today (Thursday).

Mark

Not in our Lidl today either. I had a pair of the Lidl Bresser 10x50s great bins for less than £20, noticeably contrasty-bright image. In a fit of unusual generosity I gave them to my Son in Law. One of my grandchildren dropped them and knocked a prism out of alignment. 30 mins with a small screwdriver and a bit of patience and they were as good as new! If the the 8x60s are as good I shall buy a pair!

George

When it comes to Lidi binocular, you should try them in store before you buy. When I bought my 10x50 in Lidi, I tried three and only one of them is acceptable. The other two is out of collimation.

However, if the binocular is in collimation, they can be surprisingly good for their price.

No binoculars in our local Lidl today (Friday) either. I was in looking for something else from the leaflet and they aren't in till Monday either! This isn't clear on the leaflet, but can be seen on the Lidl web site, as others have mentioned.

I was in a hurry and forgot to ask about the binoculars being the same as the items I was in for!

Mark

I'm going to be trying these out "for the team" (available from Monday).

As an intro, I posted elsewhere about my experience with previous models: recently Lidl were advertising a set of 10x50, and I had bought the Bresser 10x50 when they were only a tenner (2006) and found them excellent for the price. Unfortunately the recent offering was a cheap own-brand imitation, (probably deliberately) very similar in appearance but branded Auriol, and with BK7 optics. They were, to put it mildly, Rubbish.

Bresser 10x50:

Auriol 10x50:

I have better hopes for these Bresser 8x60, with the reservation that the 7.5mm exit pupil is probably a bit large for oldies like me to get the full light grasp. Note they are advertised as BK7, which might be a downer.

No binoculars in our local Lidl today (Friday) either. I was in looking for something else from the leaflet and they aren't in till Monday either! This isn't clear on the leaflet, but can be seen on the Lidl web site, as others have mentioned

the Lidl weekly flyers are in sections headed "Available from Thursday" and "Available from Monday" - quite clear if you are used to reading them.

Just bought a pair of these Bresser 8x60s this morning. I have had a quick look through them and you get quite a reasonable image. i will probably have to wait for a few weeks for the clouds to clear before they get there first light!

Hi,Just noticed Lidl will be selling some 8x60 bino's for £29.99 on Monday. Maybe of interest to some.

x8 seems an unusually low mag for 60mm binos? Is this correct? x8 gives an exit pupil 7.5mm [=60/8] and unless you're in your teens and 20s your eye may not open up to these dimensions even when full dark adapted. If your iris is <7.5mm diam then effectively the OG is stopped-down below its full 60mm aperture and the binos are ineffective and IMHO useless for any purpose for old guys and in full daylight when the eye stops down anyway useless for anyone. ;-(

x8 seems an unusually low mag for 60mm binos? Is this correct? x8 gives an exit pupil 7.5mm [=60/8] and unless you're in your teens and 20s your eye may not open up to these dimensions even when full dark adapted. If your iris is <7.5mm diam then effective the OG is stopped-down below its full 60mm aperture and the binos are ineffective and IMHO useless for any purpose for old guys and in full daylight when the eye stops down anyway useless for anyone. ;-(

That does assume, though, that the effective aperture of the binoculars is actually 60mm - it's likely that it's stopped down internally.

Archived