SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Seben Big Boss, the del boy of telescopes

Hi all,

Having decided I wanted a telescope and seeking advice on this site, to which I was advised the Dobsonian as a good scope (advice I should have heeded), I got very drunk and ordered a Seben Big Boss on ebay. Wow what a large aperture for such a cheap price I thought.

Well, never have I regretted a purchase so much (apart from the time I was drunk and bought a car on ebay, to discover it didnt have an engine). Anyway, it is the most pathetic useless piece of equipment I have ever had the mispleasure of owning

The optics are atrocious, grainy and blurred, the mount is equally as bad, cumbersome and awkward.

If anyone has any good ideas on how I can destroy it, that will give me £120 of satisfaction, let me know. I am hoping the guys at the local tip will crush it with a JCB while I film it - I will post this on youtube if it happens!!

So anyway, I have wasted my money, please anyone who thinks this is a good buy, DONT DO IT.

I am left with about £100 that I'll either get some bino's with or a lower grade Celestron (any opinions welcome...).

So thats it rant over, dont buy a Seben, get five toilet rolls, celotape them together and you'll have something vastly better.

ROAR!!!! :(

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember looking @ the seben scopes before knowing any better and i read nothing but poor reviews about them and opted for a 127Mak instead.

BUT, thats besides the point, best thing to do is (and its a little cruel) is try to sell it on, get some money back on it and put it toward something a little better! :(

In the meantime, i have to ask, what was so bad about it? (other than the obvious) can you give us some description of what the views are like/build quality etc and so forth....? :(

Hi all,

Having decided I wanted a telescope and seeking advice on this site, to which I was advised the Dobsonian as a good scope (advice I should have heeded), I got very drunk and ordered a Seben Big Boss on ebay. Wow what a large aperture for such a cheap price I thought.

Well, never have I regretted a purchase so much (apart from the time I was drunk and bought a car on ebay, to discover it didnt have an engine). Anyway, it is the most pathetic useless piece of equipment I have ever had the mispleasure of owning

The optics are atrocious, grainy and blurred, the mount is equally as bad, cumbersome and awkward.

If anyone has any good ideas on how I can destroy it, that will give me £120 of satisfaction, let me know. I am hoping the guys at the local tip will crush it with a JCB while I film it - I will post this on youtube if it happens!!

So anyway, I have wasted my money, please anyone who thinks this is a good buy, DONT DO IT.

I am left with about £100 that I'll either get some bino's with or a lower grade Celestron (any opinions welcome...).

So thats it rant over, dont buy a Seben, get five toilet rolls, celotape them together and you'll have something vastly better.

ROAR!!!! :(

You should really try to avoid ebay when your drunk LMAO

When I first started looking at telescopes I came across the same scope and thought what a deal, but i held off after so many reviews and opted for binoculars first.

Cant stress how much use binos can give you

30seconds of clear sky and you can be out there looking up enjoying the sights :(

I remember looking @ the seben scopes before knowing any better and i read nothing but poor reviews about them and opted for a 127Mak instead.

BUT, thats besides the point, best thing to do is (and its a little cruel) is try to sell it on, get some money back on it and put it toward something a little better! :(

In the meantime, i have to ask, what was so bad about it? (other than the obvious) can you give us some description of what the views are like/build quality etc and so forth....? :(

He did :)

Ok how about fastening it to some large chinese fireworks and sending it into close orbit, maybe it can rival Hubble if there's no atmosphere for it to worry about. It won't work of course but you'll have great satisfaction watching it disintigrate from 200 feet

Ah, still remember the day I enrolled on here and annoumced that I had just acquired a Seben, boy did I get a shock, I could hear the laughter all over the UK. Well times have moved on, got good equipment and the Seben sits on top of a cabinet to remind me of my folly, did not have the heart to get rid of it, maybe one day when some child want to see the moon I will donate it :(.

Jim

Well just to clarify, imagine you try on your friends glasses and they hurt you eyes and give you a headache, thats the seben. Or imagine trying to perform an Olympic pole volt with a spoon.

Oh what about trying to build a house with semolina.... I guess you get the picture.

I will film the slow painful death of the seben and put on YouTube ASAP... Watch this space!

I'm sure the OTA might be of some use to someone doing a project ???

I thought that. The tube at least might possibly be useful to someone wanting one for their own mirror set. the only question is whether it would be long enough. Don't these scopes have very short focal lengths?

James

• 7 months later...

Really thank you for this topic. I was about going to buy it :-(

Never ever thought about anything performance (only looking for price and bigger/bigger and bigger)

"The bigger you get, the best view you have, and lower price" hahaha always having such a bad opinion.

Luckily that I've found this topic, and then I have to become a member of the lounge here :-)

and of course, I am still looking for bigger than my 4.5" Omegon :-)

i almost made the same mistake. if it wasn't for the fact that i found sgl while my wife was transfering funds to the paypal account i'd have bought one and probably given up on astronomy before i started so a big thanks to sgl. what happened to the seben by the way?

Scott

I'm sure the OTA might be of some use to someone doing a project ???

If you can't get a refund this is a great idea.

Somebody could refigure the mirror to be more closely matched to the advertised telescope's speed...

The secondary & primary could then be recoated.

being a complete n00b myself, I almost bought a seben for the same reason - BIG aperture!

glad i didnt from all the reports, plus i dont fancy trying to collimate a bird-jones type newt. its hard enough getting to grips with a straight forward newt!!!

But surely for an experienced chap, what problems do they really suffer from that cant be overcome with some know-how? I'm sure the experts on here know how to to collimate a bird jones ota, can fix wonky and slack focusers, have an alternative decent mount to plop it on and have access to some quality EPs and it would be an alright scope. Suppose the clever chaps on here could even remove the built in corrector/barlow and turn it into a super fast newt for imaging?

Just looking on ebay and theres a second hand 150mm one going for £41 with an hour to go.

Archived