Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sombrero M104

lukebl

Hi all,

I captured this image last night with my usual setup (Canon 450d + 250mm f/4.8 Newt). 3h 50m of 5 minute subs at ISO800. The guiding seems to have been a bit off with slightly 'eggy' stars, but you can just make out hints of the spiral nature of the galaxy. With a bit of careful processing, I managed to avoid burning out the core and bring out the fine details.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-dsos-picture10382-sombrero-2011-04-08d.jpg

Closeup. Eggy stars, I know, but there are hints of the spiral detail there and some distant galaxies. I know it's not CCD quality, but I'm quite pleased at what a DSLR is capable of.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-dsos-picture10383-sombrero-2011-04-08e.jpg

Very nice image indeed. This is a great object isn't it and you have really caught the 'light dome'. Had some visual views of it at Kelling in my 18".

Thanks for sharing

Adrian

Excellent image lukebl :D

Could you post what one of your subs looks like?

Ive spent the last two nights trying to image with long subs with my 500D now that im finally guiding, but the best i think that i can do is about 2 minutes because the images become incredibly bright...

I dont know if it is because the light pollution here in Los Angeles is so severe? I am also using a CLS light pollution clip for my camera :rolleyes:

Excellent image lukebl :D

Could you post what one of your subs looks like?

Ive spent the last two nights trying to image with long subs with my 500D now that im finally guiding, but the best i think that i can do is about 2 minutes because the images become incredibly bright...

I dont know if it is because the light pollution here in Los Angeles is so severe? I am also using a CLS light pollution clip for my camera :rolleyes:

Hi Alex.

Here's a single unprocessed frame. I have light pollution issues too! I use a cheap Skywatcher LP filter which helps, but I guess I could use a better one (or move to Ha imaging with a CCD, if funds allowed!). Post-processing in Photoshop can work wonders.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-dsos-picture10424-sombrero-single-frame.jpg

That looks amazing for a 5 minute sub on an unmodded DSLR :D

I think that i need to change my filter then. or im doing something wrong?

My 2 minute subs come out bright blue and you can barely make out any stars :rolleyes:

Im trying to upload an example, but the server wont let me. ill try again in a little while

Thanks Luke

Archived