Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi From Sleaford Lincolnshire

Chris E

Hi all, My name is Chris obviously, Ive only just got into all this and need LOTS of help, I've never looked at the stars before, Infact I don't even know what I'm looking at.

I'm obviously interested in a telescope, but have no idea which one to buy, what the termanology means , and where to look.

I probably have between £3-400 to spend, but I'm frightened of buying the wrong one.

Needs... I would like to see the stars in detail and would love to have pics like some of you guys have posted on here (particularly Saturn). I don't have a DSLR just a normal "samsung digital camera with 12.1 megapixels" (can these be attached to telescopes)

Terminology... What is meant by focal length of 35 inches, and focal ratio of F/8 ?? , I also dont understand the magnification side of things 100 x 59x etc etc ., and which is best, a refractor, or Reflector ??

If someone could post on here " you need this 8 inch daimeter lense, and magnifiaction of that, and focal ratio of this" this would be really appreciated, Please feel free to treat me like a 5 year old and explain the terminology as simple as possible,

Hope you can help

Chris................Ps, I would also like to see the ISS and Shuttle

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris - welcome to the lounge. I've only just started as well and have been confused ever since. Every question I've asked though has been answered excellently by the guys on this forum. Good luck!

Hello Chris, welcome to SGL.

First bit of advice, don't rush in to buying, do lot's of research first.

Stellarium is a good piece of free software to download also

Heavens-Above Home Page is a good site, if you register and enter your co-ordinates it will give timings for ISS passes plus other satellites.

hi chris and welcome to sgl, focal length is done in "mm" aperture is mm or inches, dividing focal length by aperture gives the focal ratio i.e focal length/aperture say 1000/100 =f ratio 10 longer focal length gives more magnification.

as to a good starting scope maybe a skymax 127 maksutov on an eq3 mount

Hi Chris and welcome to SGL, at one time or another we were all in the same boat as you, patience, reading and asking those what might seem like silly questions will help you along, sage advice do not consider buying anything at present but wait awhile, bino`s and Stellarium are a recommended way to start to learn the night sky :)

John.

Hello Chris, welcome to SGL.

First bit of advice, don't rush in to buying, do lot's of research first.

Stellarium is a good piece of free software to download also

Heavens-Above Home Page is a good site, if you register and enter your co-ordinates it will give timings for ISS passes plus other satellites.

Thanks Tbird, but how do I know how my co-ordinates are ??, all I know is I live in Sleaford Lincs ?

Hi Chris and welcome. I'm pretty new here too but I've found the forum to be friendly helpful and encouraging. As far as buying a scope goes I'd visit your local club if possible and get some hands on advice. There's probably not one telescope to meet all your needs but you'll get some pointers on where to start. Good luck,

Chris

Hi Chris and welcome - as already mentioned there's loads of advice in the beginners section (especially the stickies) and also, check out the primers and tutorials, they make excellent reading.

Your original question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string" so difficult to answer in depth. I'd check out those threads I mentioned then try to narrow your choice down a bit and then ask more a specific question and you'll find you'll get more useful answers (unlike this one! lol)

Good luck and enjoy

Archived