Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi From Sleaford Lincolnshire

Chris E

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi & welcome Chris.

What are you most interested in looking at - DSO, Planets & The Moon?

This is what I mean by basic, What is a DSO ?? I would love to see Saturn , is that possible, and would like to see the ISS and shuttle, Would also like to take pics but don't have a DSLR, just a 12.1 mp digital camera

Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to SGL.

DSO = Deep Sky Objects - galaxies, globular clusters, nebulae, open clusters.

If you look through the various threads in the beginners section you will see that the general recommendation is to lay off Astrophotography to start with. It gets very expensive and requires lots of knowledge to produce the standard shown here.

Yes you will be able to see Saturn and very fine it is too.

As has been said before spend plenty of time reading the stickies here and asking plenty of questions.

Enjoy.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to SGL.

DSO = Deep Sky Objects - galaxies, globular clusters, nebulae, open clusters.

If you look through the various threads in the beginners section you will see that the general recommendation is to lay off Astrophotography to start with. It gets very expensive and requires lots of knowledge to produce the standard shown here.

Yes you will be able to see Saturn and very fine it is too.

As has been said before spend plenty of time reading the stickies here and asking plenty of questions.

Enjoy.

Cheers Astro, God I'm lost already

Hi Chris I'm a newbe like you just up the A15 to in Lincoln, scary the amount of knowledge you have take in, still one step at a time & the people on this site are great with their advice.

Cheers

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

No one can really recommend to you a specific scope because there are many types and sizes of scopes that are designed to excel at specific objects. That isn't to say that there isn't any overlap between these differences because there is, it just makes sense to put most of your money into your area of interest. I would second the view that you can use your local astro club as a means of research but they can vary in what they have to offer you. My club for example does have scopes that it can lend out but not every club is the same. The most important thing you can do is to track down and go along to an observation evening where a local club or observing group set up a few scopes to help introduce the public to the night's sky. As a research tool this is essential because all the facts and figures won't really mean a thing unless you have established a benchmark from which to make comparisons. It will also introduce you to the size of some of this kit and also their set up and cooling down times. Cost is also another factor and explains why you see so many dobsonian newtonians scopes as all the purchase price goes into the mirror with none on the 'toys' that so often come with scopes. The Help & Advice/Equipment Help sections are the places to start.

Clear skies

James

Hi Chris,

Before committing to spending this sort of money you really need to see a scope of this size in the flesh and make sure you have the space to use and store it.

I must be honest, that this is not a scope I can speak about first hand but did manage to find this Review

You will notice that twice in the above it was stressed that this would not be this reviewer's first choice for a newcomer.

If you are seriously considering something along these lines I would suggest you get yourself along to Rother Valley Optics and have a good chat with Ian and look at This SW 200P

Please do not be in too much of a hurry, take your time and make the right choice for you.

HTH

Hi Chris,

Before committing to spending this sort of money you really need to see a scope of this size in the flesh and make sure you have the space to use and store it.

I must be honest, that this is not a scope I can speak about first hand but did manage to find this Review

You will notice that twice in the above it was stressed that this would not be this reviewer's first choice for a newcomer.

If you are seriously considering something along these lines I would suggest you get yourself along to Rother Valley Optics and have a good chat with Ian and look at This SW 200P

Please do not be in too much of a hurry, take your time and make the right choice for you.

HTH

Thanks Alan, really appreciate your comments, This is what I'm finding difficult, because I dont know what I'm looking for I don't know what to buy, I'm getting frustated allready.

Chris

Hi Chris and welcome to SGL from just up the road in Boston. So what has got you interested in astronomy?

Dunno really oldfruit, I'm just facinated that there's something else up there minding its own buisness while we're down here, I've been watching Nat Geo for the last few weeks too, and some of the pics are stunning, So I'd like a scope and a camera lol, Also interested in the ISS and shuttle

Chris

Archived