Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Lincs

tango

Evening all, have decided to join this forum after using it for several months as a source of information for everything sky related.

I had a telescope as a young lad (Tasco I think) and never really got on with it. It promised amazing views but never delivered and by the time I had set it up it was time to put it away again!

25 or so years later I bought another, purely out of interest. It's a Skywatcher Heritage 130p and I got it from ebay for £55. I used it, with advice from this forum, for the first time last weekend.

Quite simply I was amazed with the quality and sturdiness of the scope and the views it delivered of the moon were fantastic.

I feel bad for leaving it so long - but am now eager to catch up on many lost opportunities.

Thanks to all who have already, albeit unknowingly, helped solve my issues. I look forward to asking questions, learning, reading and most of all, clear skies...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL.

My first brief foray into the world of astronomy was with a Tasco scope too. My dad bought it me for Christmas back when I was 9 or 10. Needless to say we both thought it was pretty rubbish and he took it back to the shop for a refund and got me something else. I was pretty gutted because I really wanted to learn about the stars.

I kept a small interest during my 20's by trying to catch The Sky at Night when I remembered it was on. Didn't get really interested until about October last year when I started using my dad old bins to stargaze.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! While messing around on my first night I managed to take some photos of the moon - I can't wait to get the right kit and take better ones (shaky hands don't help.)

It's difficult but exciting wondering where to start! I've ordered 'Turn left at Orion' as almost everyone says it's a useful book for the likes of me. Have been using Stellarium for the last couple of hours as well - what a great piece of software.

I guess lenses would be a good place to start reading up but I'm really keen on photography and have heard a lot about webcams too!

Will have plenty of time this weekend to make a plan of action :D

m1.pdf

m3.pdf

Archived