Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello, new here!

ApOpLeXiA

Just found this amazing forum when i was looking up on information about amateur telescopes. I am dutch, and still novice :D

I have 1 small meade etx80 telescope which introduced me to 'stargazing' :p, im aware that it is not good at all, but i did manage to see the ring of saturn last week !, i wanted to try and find the andromeda galaxy , but unfortunately fog ruined the attempt ( also it seems to be very low in the sky when i look at it's position in programs like stellarium, or certain appz on ipad/phone)...

I was wondering if it is even possible(skeptical about it) to view the galaxy @ over 2.5 million light years away....

Hence im looking to purchase a new telescope..., im mainly interested in deep sky and my budget is that of a student unfortunately:P, after some quick research on the internet and then in these filled forums!, i thought a dobson telescope would be fitting for my desire/budget, it would be greatly appreciated if someone could point me the differences between the models below, and if this would be a good telescope for me..

Some questions i have about--

Skywatcher skyliner 300p flextube

Skywatcher skyliner 300p

- What is the difference between them( other then one needs to be extended before using and is more compact for storing, will this affect sturdiness? or are they equally robust, also the mirrors will be more exposed then the closed one?,

-Is goto system advised( it's quite an expensive add on, + i never used the primitive go to system on my etx80 yet since i am too lazy to allign it)

- Then for the flextube they also offer the ''tracking'' variant, which just keeps the object your viewing centered, again is this advised over the standard version?( since earth spins at over 1600km/h 'small' objects will go out of the viewfinder quite fast, for example when i watched saturn at 8,64 AU or so , it went out quite fast)

Is this telescope powerfull enough to get beautiful sightings?

Im highly enthustiac about astronomy and am looking forward to learn alot in these forums!, Thanks in advance for answering some of my questions and also if you have any suggestions on equipment!(budget is between 500 and 1000 euros or so..), they would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

And sorry for an ambivalent story and my sometimes terrible english spelling lol!

Greetings Freek

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL!

I think your ETX will be hard pushed for viewing the Andromeda with its high focal length.

The 300p is a serious scope! and would reward you with great views! :D

You already pointed out the differences between the skyliner and the flexi. One is for portability and compactness the other not so much, but again as you pointed out the flexi will be less sturdy when being 'man handled'.

Auto, Goto...or manual. Comes down to a personal prefrence and is commonly debated on the forum.

Personaly i believe part of the fun with visual is the hunt :p But each to there own.

Lastly don't worry about your spelling at least you have an excuse! I unfortunatly do not :(

Good luck and clear skies!

Michael

Hi and welcome

If you don't need the portability, the solid tube may be a better bet as the scope won't require collimating anything like as often.

If you prefer DSO's, then the 300p dob without goto or tracking will be fine. and less hassle when setting up. Generally DSO's are viewed at low magnification and the object will take a lot longer to move from view. If you can find your way around the sky, goto shouldn't really be an issue. As has been said above, it's the thrill of the hunt!

Eya, thanks for all the welcomes guys!, and for the helpful advise on the telescope :D

i do wonder if collimating is hard?, since im not experienced and the only thing i handled is an entry level refractor telescope

i have the 300p solid tube and its no probs to me to carry to the location on my garden ,its not goto either we do have a 90mm meade fracthat is goto but we never use it that much, the chase is on the night ,o would rather spend a hour searching than 5 mins press in buttons ,but say in that goto systems are and its quick and easy to find things if you do not no where to look both 300 dobs are mega and will keep you busy for years

Hi Freek welcome to SGL, I have the meade etx 80 also and found it very disappointing, however it has done it's job in telling me that this is not a passing fad and that I need to get better telescope. The other night though I did manage to see Saturn just like you did which was excellent.

Regards

Derek

Eya! taffybuoy55, yes it is rather disappointing:P, especially when you have some expectations!, it is nice for the moon and you can make out that ur watching saturn but other then that it's not so nice:(

what other telescopes are you looking @?, i am quite lost in the vast ammount of different types/prices/models:P

Hi Freek, welcome to SGL.

I have both the ETX and the 300p Flextube. The ETX was my first scope, and to be fair the optics are not bad, but the motors are noisy, and it takes a while getting it set up and happy. It will find M31 for you, but you need a low magnification eyepiece in and dark skies.

The 300p is my favorite though, if you are not taking it in the car, then the solid tube would be best, as it is a stronger construction and does not need the light shroud added to stop stray light, that the Flextube does. If it's galaxies you are after, then a 300 Dob will keep you happy for a good while.

If you get to somewhere with really dark sky you can see M31 with the naked eye.

Archived