Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lifes short, what do you want to see?

Pakmoto

If those pesky scientists are right and you cannot travel faster then light, I don't see how we'll ever get to meet another race. Shame because I'd love to be able to say "Live long and Prosper" to a Vulcan before they got a chance to open their mouths. :o

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If those pesky scientists are right and you cannot travel faster then light, I don't see how we'll ever get to meet another race. Shame because I'd love to be able to say "Live long and Prosper" to a Vulcan before they got a chance to open their mouths. :o

Just because we think we can't travel faster than light doesn't mean its impossible. Perhaps they are already on the way, or they took a look and decided not to bother?

The film district 9, becoming reality, cool.

I like the post by nitram100 (If I could choose only one thing it would be the discovery of other intelligent life in our galaxy and making contacting with them.)

But what would they think of us? surely they would be disappointed as all we do is fight one another and never come to an agreement.

Aurora Borealis

Betelgeuse going SN would be simply awesome, but hope it happens in winter :(

Total eclipse

Manned Interplanetary craft

A year in Namibia/Chile with a 20" RC scope :o

On the topic of Star Trek, they don't physically travel faster than light, they effectively travel faster than light, in that they get somewhere in less time it would take light to. Not by sheer speed, but by warping the space around them, as in folding it to make the distance shorter.

Anyway, obviously extra terrestrial life. But one thing i would love is for it to be a requirement for everybody to see the earth from high altitude/orbit. I think the world would be a much better place if that happened.

If Betelgeuse did go supernova, although it would an astounding astronomical event, what's the betting that after a few months when we've become used to it, we'd start complaining about it's light washing out other objects in the sky. :o

i would like to see the age of innovation make a return, scientific innovation of the likes we had from the 50s thru the 70s, if it hadnt have stalled like it did in the 80s we would no doubt have already been to Mars, HFC tech would be viable and humanity would have prospered more so than what we have done so far.

looking at the Betelguise comments, i will add, it would be nice to be around to see the Betelguise nebula and the effects the nova would have had on M42

1. Supernova (Northern hemisphere please)

2. A PROPER naked eye comet (In the league of Hale Bopp territory)

3. Another Jupiter / Comet Collision

4. 'Tunguska sized' Ateroid impact (no im not morbid, its overdue historically whether we like it or not and we need to be reminded who's boss from time to time)

:o

Matt

My list would be to be able to see

1) man back on the moon and then on Mars

2) someone solve the debacle over dark manager and dark energy

3) someone solve the gross incompatibility between general relativity and quantum theory

4) the day when high resolution spectroscopy can be done from space

5) the solution to the mass-loss rate problem of massive stars

6) more advanced astronomy programs on TV - and less predictable - than Wonders of the Universe and the Sky at Night

7) detect earth sized planets with nitrogen/oxygen atmospheres

Being an interested astronomical spectroscopist I would like myself to be able to:

1) detect the spectra of a Gamma Ray burst from say 7 billion light years away

2) capture the spectra of all the Wolf-Rayet stars in our galaxy

3) follow the spectra of a star as it goes into supernova

Now that would be fun :0)

cheers

John

To live under the night sky without man-made light pollution. Don't ask much...

That is where I do live and going back would be very hard. Even in mainland Europe it can still be done, or very nearly. I don't have a totally dark site but it's very close.

The great thing about astronomy, or one of them, is that you can see stellar and galactic evolution taking place, not in any one object, but by looking at objects representing each stage of astrophysical evolution. You can see Bok Globules in which stars are forming, main sequence stars, red giants, planetary nebulae, pulsar sites like the Crab and supernova after effects like the Veil.

Olly

well I'd like to see (in no particular order):

• peace on earth for all men
  • a world wide sanctuary for donkeys
  • all children safe and well fed

hang on a minute....wrong list! That's my Miss World one.

My astro top five is (currently):

• Northern Lights
  • Numerous tailed horizon to horizon comet
  • 'Alien life' confirmed (and hopefully confirming that we came from somewhere else just to keep the mystery going a bit longer)
  • Manned landing on Mars
  • African skies (I was watching a Paul Simon documentary last night).

I'd like to see unrefutable evidence that life exists or has exsited elswehere other than Earth. That would be a very profound moment IMHO.

this for me also would be a great moment

also the Aurorae but that's up to me

Archived