NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lifes short, what do you want to see?

Pakmoto

I can't help but think in the whole scheme of things, just how short life is, it can take many years for the universe to change or do something dramatic,

And here we are with a sub 100 year life expectancy (well most of us).

But my point is, I want to see things, things that may take millions or billions of years,

I know it's not possible so I'm obviously going to have to settle with what I get, so in order I've compiled a list of things I would like to see in my life time :o

1) Supernova (come on Betelgeuse let go)

2) Light speed travel

3) Maned mission to mars

4) Aurora borealis (a real good one)

5) An asteroid passing over the earths atmosphere preferably without impact)

I'm sure this list will be added to and I could go on all day, but that's my top 5 :(

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To live under the night sky without man-made light pollution. Don't ask much...

amen to that :o

Wouldn't mind seeing a total solar eclipse before i expire but highly unlikely. More chance of the above happening.

I'd like to see unrefutable evidence that life exists or has exsited elswehere other than Earth. That would be a very profound moment IMHO.

What about the constant stream of UFO's seen over Area 51.....don't they count :o

I'd like to see a huge optical telescope built in the UK and all school kids, ALL school kids, forced to go and look through it and all adults strongly encouraged: just so that everyone gets the chance to say "wow!"

I'd also like to see Anne Hathaway walking up my path but thats a different thing entirely.

David

Betelgeuse may of gone super nova 500-600 years ago but the effect hasn't reached us yet, but it would be very cool to see.

On the more likely side I'd like to see:

My kids move out of the house :o

The Northern lights and Polar bears in Churchill, Canada.

The Amazon forests, before they get trampled under foot.

The North and South poles.

The islands off of China.

Betelgeuse may of gone super nova millions of years ago but the effect hasn'r reached us yet, but it would be very cool to see.

789 years ago - maximum.

As for the kids moving out ... impossible to accurately estimate that one

R

789 years ago - maximum.

As for the kids moving out ... impossible to accurately estimate that one

R

I was erring on the large size for effect lol corrected now.

The kids moving out? fat chance while they get to keep the cake and eat it lol

Total Solar eclipse

Aurorae

Meteor storm

Space vehicle launch

I may be missing something, but why is it thought/assumed that Betelgeuse is any more likely to "blow" within our lifetime than any other red giant out there?

I'd also like to see an end to religious/racial conflict (or any other form of conflict for that matter) and a society where there's no such thing as money or materialism, so as to do away with greed and avarice. There'd then be no talk of the "cost" of responding to a natural disaster in monetary terms.

1) An inexpensive cloud filter. :o:(

2) A meteor shower so thick that it makes the sky look like i'm driving through a blizzard at night with the high beams on. :D

3) An absolutely stunning naked-eye comet... every year. :)

EDIT:

4) What the heck... as long as i'm dreaming, i'd like a "perfect seeing/transparency" filter, too. :D

1: Betelgeuse going supernova

2: further manned missions beyond low earth orbit - The moon and preferably Mars too!

3: confirmed life elsewhere in the universe (watched a really cool TED presentation on Spectroscopy which could confirm this)

4: confirmation of the existence of the Higgs Boson and therefore the standard model

5: Halleys comet for a second time

6: Aurora Borealis

7: Jupiters moons and the rings of Saturn through my very own telescope

8: Myself affording a degree in physics or equivalent science qualification

Lol, I could probably carry on for a while but they're the best ones :o

P.s. ALL the Messier and Caldwell list before I turn 40 too!!

If I were to pick just the one, and sticking to astronomy, then it has to be Betelgeuse.

The reason Betelgeuse is a hot favourite for doing the big boom thing is that it is visibly less stable than most red giants, and has faded significantly over the last 20 years. This should be (apparently) a prelude to supernova. That's the theory, and that's what makes Betelgeuse the most likely of currently observed candidates.

The Great Barrier Reef.

Sunrise from a plane flying east.

The Milky Way from a boat in the middle of the ocean with no lights on.

Clean cheap energy coming from fusion providing us all with limitless power.

The Earth from space.

The first 3 are reasonably likely, the fourth isn't totally out of the question and the 5th would be awesome but its unlikely I could ever afford it even if the general public could go.

If I could choose only one thing it would be the discovery of other intelligent life in our galaxy and making contact with them.

Not too much to ask is it? :o

Other than that it would be a large asteroid impact on earth or manned mission to mars.

Looking at the moon through my scope and observing a very large impact on its surface :o

Winning a competition to be one of a few to travel into space on a new shuttle type craft and looking down on Earth :(

I would love for us to know for sure that ET is out there, maybe to have communicated with ET. To me it seems fairly likely ET is out there, but I would love to see proof and for everyone to know we are not alone! I wonder if it would change society or not really!

Archived