NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M81 and M82, M51 Firsts...

Keiran

Hi all,

Me and SCAG went out last night for our first obs session in what seems like forever. The sky was stunning, and I managed to have ago imaging for the first time in ages.

First off I started with M81 and M82, then i moved on and took a single sub of M42 ( but i didnt bother processing it) then on to the Leo Triplets. I took on shot of this again, and i didnt bother processing as there was too little data.

M42 and the triplets were more for my own refernce and to see what i could get out of the mount. My timer decided to malfunction, and kept changing duration on its own. At one point it was taking a 93 hour exposure :( never mind. I managed to get 15mins out of the mount with very little star trailing, but alot of jumping where we were walking around the mount ;)

I did manage to end up with quite a few shots of M51 and M82 etc with over 5 min subs unguided and next to no trailing :)

Anyway here is my first attempts of the three galaxys. I wish I had stuck to one target, but because i havnt been out for along time I couldnt help myself... But I have decided next time i go outi am going to spent as much time as i can imaging M51.

Anyway here they are...

bulldog_keiran-albums-my-best-picture9349-m81-m82-26-02-2011-23-subs-equaling-70-mins-iso800.jpg

bulldog_keiran-albums-my-best-picture9348-m51-26-02-2011-4-subs-equaling-23mins-iso800.jpg

Thanks for looking

Keiran

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great images Keiran and as John says, even more impressive for an unguided setup......you did extremely well setting up. And as Shaun says, amazing they were unaffected by the constant pounding of the ground as we all moved around. Plus there was a breeze too.

M42 is very nice but i prefer the other two, galaxies are my fav. :) And i really like the small galaxy you have captured nearby M51.

@ jgs001, John, I did use my Megrez 72 with the 500D... These are cropped abit, the origanal was very vey wide field, and with alot of subs, would make a lovely image.

I think next time it is going to be M51, and I will try and keep it as is uncropped as possible, I just need to increase the amount of subs i take.

Setting up, I must say shaun did lend a hand, and we seem to have got it just right. Im really supprised I got what i did with all of the traffic around the scope, and all the 'Doggers' with their full beams on :) driving in and out of the carpark.

These results really have inspired me... But as Shaun kept telling me 'Stay on one subject' Next time i will.

I think long unguided exposures are bit easier with the megrez, such a small light scope, and my heavy HEQ5. When i was using my 200p the slightest bit of wind and the thing would move all over the place.

Thanks for all the comments and for looking :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived