Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Peak Star Party Lives Again! 21 - 24 October

jamespels

well as far as I am concerned I'll welcome anyone onto my pitch and for a look through my scope as long as they obey 'the rules' regarding asking, not touching glass etc. (oh, and as long as I actually get a chance to look too! (and they have jaffa cakes):))

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the responses guys; advice taken on board!

I think I'll book myself a pitch when I get home from work tonight. It seems I can't stop thinking how exciting this will be. It will be my 2nd holiday in 7 years!

Hi, I'm going to book A.S.A.P but i have a question first...... there is definately 2 of us coming but might be a third so if i book for the additional person for the stay and bbq would i get a refund if the third person does not attend? Thanks

Oh and this will be my first time to a star party and i think from the above posts we will all be ok when it comes to talking and interacting x :-) x

blumming thing... :)

There is a link to a dedicated BBQ booking page from the "Barbecue" tab. You will need your original booking number.

Can you try that please - if that doesn't work, drop me an e-mail (info@peakstarparty.co.uk) with your booking ref and the number and types of BBW you want and I'll sort it out for you.

Cheers,

J.

Hi all.

Concerning EHU:

--I've managed to book a pitch in the overflow field with 8A EHU. Does anybody know what the limitations will be compared to a 16A EHU?

--I believe there are two different colour cables for EHU, orange and blue - is there a specific colour for each Ampage?

I'd like to add to the offers already in this thread, that if anybody needs to charge phones, laptops etc. then come and plug in. ALSO, for the non-takers of alcohol, tea and coffee will be freely flowing (-:

Thanks

Hi Craig,

no real difference between 8A and 16A supplies - the 8A supplies are just cable splitters on the 16A ones anyway.

Thanks for the reminder that not everybody drinks alcohol - we will have at least one hot water heater constantly available with tea, coffee and sugar plus a few bottles of squash. Not quite sure where we will put this yet but we will probably use one or more of the exhibition tents as a covered tea / food / beer tents in the evenings.

J.

Hi everyone I'm just about to book but then realised i forgot to ask 1 major question...... i want to be in the overflow field and it says it £40, is that £40 a pitch or per person? someone write back A.S.A.P cheers x

KerryAnn23, you know, although I couldn't be 100% certain I am pretty sure it's a pay-per-pitch-up-to-2-persons kind of deal. I suggest emailing the organiser, or even just booking 1 pitch and then chasing it up. I'm sure the outcome will be OK either way. The BBQ is a per-person ticket though. :)

Hi Beamish,

all the pitches in the Overflow are tent pitches, just there are none left with electricity. If you can run on powerpacks, you can take a freebie recharge during the day with these pitches.

If you need more power, there is still a 16A pitch left in the Touring Field that would be OK for tents.

J.

Hi all,

further great news for PSP2011 - John Wall (inventor of the Crayford focuser, record holder for the largest refractor built by an individual, inventor of the hypochromat refractor and prodigious amateur telescope maker) has sent me the plans for the "Children's DIY" telescope featured in the current Astronomy Now. I am hoping to have one of these built in time for PSP2011 (provided I can fit it around moving a large shed, opening a new drive onto the road and relandscaping our garden!).

John is also kindly building us a sample hypochromat refractor (review here: A New Refractor Concept: "The Wall Hypochromatic Refractor" - Article) which we will be displaying in the Peak District Dark Skies tent.

I have been having a long e-mail discussion with John regarding telescope design; he is an incredibly helpful and really nice chap I cannot thank enough for his support.

J.

Are there any pitches left for this? I only live down the road and it would be my first event. Just a bit worried about fitting in, if you know what I mean? I too had a similar experince with a local society which put me off and it'd be very cool to leave the scope taking subs and actually have a beer with some people who actually know about astronomy.

Just a bit worried about fitting in, if you know what I mean? I too had a similar experince with a local society which put me off and it'd be very cool to leave the scope taking subs and actually have a beer with some people who actually know about astronomy.

Don't think you'll have a problem here, its mine and many others first event....and if you're leaving your scope taking subs, then I think people like me will be mithering you for your knowledge!!!....get your name down

Are there any pitches left for this? I only live down the road and it would be my first event. Just a bit worried about fitting in, if you know what I mean? I too had a similar experince with a local society which put me off and it'd be very cool to leave the scope taking subs and actually have a beer with some people who actually know about astronomy.

I also live only just down the road - 10 minutes to be truthful. You will fit in fine, we have some newbies and also some very experienced people coming, and the organisers (me included!) are trying to make it a very friendly event. :smiley:

Hi PhoenixRising,

all sorts of people coming along from very experienced to near complete beginner (I have only been able to get my scope out about five or six evenings since I bought in it Feb!).

Quite a few pitches left (and don't forget the satruday night BBQ!) but they are going steadily and we are in the next Astronomy Now, and October's AN ad S@N so we are hoping sales will accelerate towards the end of the month.

J.

Archived