Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peak Star Party Lives Again! 21 - 24 October

jamespels

Ohh Myyyy Dayyysss, i want to come!!!!!! im not bothered about electricity or anything. i am going to my calender this instance to work out if il be working or not!!! if not then got to see who will come with me/bring me lol :)

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, can i just ask a couple of questions please

1) is each pitch in the overflow field for a 2 man tent? at the moment there is 3 of us wanting to come so would we need to get 2 pitches?

2)i would like to use a bigger tent for 2 of us as my other half is really tall so we struggle in a 2man, would that be ok?

3) if we do come what time would we be expected to get there for?

4) never been to one of these parties so what would be the essential things?, i will bring my binoculars and my charts so that i can mark down the things i see but if things are going on during the day would we need quite a bit of money?

Sorry to be such a pain but i really want to come and to be prepared at the same time. thanks x

Hahaha yeah, i've been camping before but i dont really like it lol. i will need to buy a new tent and a few other things aswel but once my above questions get answered il hopefully know if i can go or not. got to find a driver lol x

Finally decided that I am going to book to attend.

The only reason I will need an EHU is for my mobile, so I guess I am ok to book a pitch without it.

I also have a large 4 man tent, so will one pitch be ok for this?

Looking forward to attending my first star party!

:)

Hi, can i just ask a couple of questions please

1) is each pitch in the overflow field for a 2 man tent? at the moment there is 3 of us wanting to come so would we need to get 2 pitches?

2)i would like to use a bigger tent for 2 of us as my other half is really tall so we struggle in a 2man, would that be ok?

3) if we do come what time would we be expected to get there fit?

4) never been to one of these parties so what would be the essential things?, i will bring my binoculars and my charts so that i can mark down the things i see but if things are going on during the day would we need quite a bit of money?

Sorry to be such a pain but i really want to come and to br prepared at the same time. thanks x

Hi Kerry,

1. Pitches are large enough for pretty much any tent but the basic fee is for up to two people so you will need to book a pitch plus one extra person.

2. No worries! See 1, above.

3. Before dark really. Allow time to set up your tent before rd red light rules kick in. See ' rules and etiquette' tab for details.

4. Warm clothing, warm bedding, waterproof tent, more warm clothes, torch with red light filter, more warm clothing, whatever astro gear you have, more warm clothing, more warm bedding! See FAQs page for more pointers.

Most things in the day are free but you may want to bring funds for the astro boot and trade stands. You can pay in advance for bbq food on the Saturday (please do) but will need to think about other meals. You might also want to bring the odd tin or bottle...

Thanks ever so much. how full are you getting? its a few week till i get paid so i dont think i can book till that time unless ur getting really full then i mite hav to borrow from someone till then

You should be fine for a bit. Sales are definitely picking up again but we still have about 25 pitches left in the overflow field.

Finally decided that I am going to book to attend.

The only reason I will need an EHU is for my mobile, so I guess I am ok to book a pitch without it.

I also have a large 4 man tent, so will one pitch be ok for this?

Looking forward to attending my first star party!

:)

Hi nottsbloke, yes, a four man tent will easily fit.

J.

Star party barbecue

To answer a few questions about this:

the barbecue is on the SATURDAY night - we have moved it from the Sunday by request.

All tickets already sold as ' Sunday barbecue' are valid for the Saturday. They are obviously no longer valid for Sunday night!

Anybody who has already booked a Sunday night barbecue but cannot make Saturday should email info@peakstarparty.co.uk so we can arrange a refund.

Tickets must be booked in advance so the caterers know how much to bring. There will be a little extra but not much...

Please book early so we do not have to commit funds from elsewhere to reach the minimum order with the caterer - this will help us put on the best possible weekend.

Thanks,

J.

Hi James,

I am struggling to book the BBQ for the Saturday night. When I click on the link in "Registration" and on the link in the BBQ section I am transferred to the Event Elephant page and it says event not recognised.

I have seen a number of posts on here recently asking about pitch size and whether or not a certain size of tent will fit. It has got me wondering whether or not my tent will fit or not - it is an 8 man tent, approx 7m x 4m.

I am booked on to pitch 24 in the camping field. It fits OK onto pitches I have used at other camp sites, admittedly it is not the smallest tent in the world.

Ian

Hi James,

I am struggling to book the BBQ for the Saturday night. When I click on the link in "Registration" and on the link in the BBQ section I am transferred to the Event Elephant page and it says event not recognised.

Hi Ian,

there is a link on the "Barbecue" tab that goes to another booking page for the BBQ. Both work but I had to set this one up for people booking a pitch and BBQ at the same time as the current system sees this as multiple pitch bookings! Can you try again using that link please? Failing that, please e-mail info@peakstarparty with your original booking number and I'll set it up for you so you can pay by cheque.

EventElephant has done a reasonably good job but we probably won't be using them next year - the grief with "Event Not Found" errors simply isn't worth it.

Thanks,

J.

Hi James,

I have seen a number of posts on here recently asking about pitch size and whether or not a certain size of tent will fit. It has got me wondering whether or not my tent will fit or not - it is an 8 man tent, approx 7m x 4m.

Ian

Should be no problem - the pitches at Shallow Grange are very generous. To get an idea, this is the Camping Field - there are 7 or 8 pitches up the west side (on the left in this view); the side is about 70m long so each pitch is about 10m wide by even longer.

J.

Oh, and the other thing that concerns me; are star parties generally a friendly environment? I went to my local astrological society meet for the 1st time a few months back and nobody even came and spoke to me. It was very off-putting; I havn't gone back.

Altruythm, it will be my first start party too and I am sure it will be a very jolly affair :-)

Regarding your local club, I would say give them another go, but try and get to an observing session with them if they run them. I found my club hard to get into at the meetings, but at any sort of observing event, be it a public event or just a club night under the stars, the atmosphere is very different and people talk alot more and are very willing to share their experience and let you look through their scopes. It makes it easier too because you know people at the meetings and they are more likely to talk.

Hope that helps

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Hi Craig,

no, we're all horrible and nobody will venture outside their pitch for the whole weekend...

...until the first cake / beer / wine gets opened about 30 seconds after arrival :).

I have toured quite a few astro socs giving talks about PSP2011 when we were trying to drum up business in May - there is a huge variety from incredibly friendly and open to quite insular. When you think about it, astronomy can be (certainly not always, though!) a bit of a loner's hobby (see the various threads about autism, aspergers and similar in the astronomy lounge!) so it is not really surprising some groups find it difficult to talk to strangers. If you are a more outgoing sort, you need to either understand this and persevere with your local club or investigate alternatives if you really cannot get on with them - what you look for in a club may be a complete turn-off to somebody else so you may well find several reasonably close societies with very different memberships.

PSP2011 appears to be attracting a complete mix so there will be many people to talk with no matter what sort of person you get on with.

Hope this helps,

J.

well said james^ ^ ^

also i would guess that the majority of people attending a star party, are going so that they can chat and mingle, i know i will be chatting the hind leg of the proverbial donkey:D

Archived