Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peak Star Party Lives Again! 21 - 24 October

jamespels

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you should definitely go it will be great. the best thing is the social side for me and with dark skies too, you cannot lose!

Thanks! I best check the calendar and get permission from the management ;) (the wife)

I always ask my wife to come along but it's far too cold in summer let alone October!

I would invite her but she thinks im mad anyway. She came along to the local society meet but could I not spark her interest in astronomy.

Shame really. Might invite her best mate along instead lol

I think that's right. If you ask for pitch 3 you can share mine/brommas's power(if it's still available).

Thankyou Veracocha :-). I'm looking forward to it! Just need to get some summer birthdays out the way then I'm on to a winner! :-)

Great news - I spike with David Lukehurst at David Lukehurst - Large Portable Dobsonian Dobson Dobsons Telescopes - Index and he is going to attend the telescope exhibition at PSP2011. I am working on others at the moment, particularly a well known Scottish binocular company who shall remain nameless for now! Any other suggestions of British manufacturers welcome. OOUK have turned us down though, sadly.

Speaking of David Lukehurst, anybody here have one of his scores they could loan to the exhibition? David doesn't carry stock as such so we are looking for something that could go on display on Saturday day. Any loans will qualify their owners for substantial PSP2011 discounts... Thanks!

I'm not glad anybody has declined!

All - to protect the reputations of both SGL and PSP, can you please refrain from making negative comments about any manufacturer? SGL have fairly strict rules about this which I back - if you have anything negative to say, please use the supplier reviews page and remember to justify any allegations - I don't particularly want either a libel suit or to damage potential future relations with anybody!

Thanks all,

J.

Great news - first headline speaker confirmed!

Professor Ian Morison (outgoing Gresham College Professor of Astronomy) will be joining us on Saturday to give a talk about Earth Impactors, comets and meteors, leading nicely into Saturday night's coordinated Orionids meteor watch. For anybody who isn't aware - the Orioinids (along with several other meteor showers) are part of he debris tail from Halley's comet.

More speakers and a detailed schedule to be announced soon!

Thanks,

James.

Best estimates put the limiting magnitude around 5.5. In cloudy conditions it looks worse because of light reflected from a nearby quarry but, when the clouds go, the light is so localised it is barely noticable. There really isn't amnything much to the south at all - the nearest sizeable town in Ashbourne 20 mles away.

So, not as good as Kielder or deep into Wales or Scotland but about as good as you will get in most of this country otherwise (probably including Kelling and Lucksall).

Archived