Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Peak Star Party Lives Again! 21 - 24 October

jamespels

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So might wait hope and pray that a EHU come available.. Is there a waiting list as such?

Regs Andy

Of a sort. There are two people waiting to see if any of the seasonals at Shallow Grange will definitely be away but we won't know for sure until a week before.

I have added you to the waiting list - you're third in the queue.

I would expect three EHUs to come available but no guarantees, I'm afraid.

J.

Shane,

when you get bored of this one, you could always ask John Nicholl about the 18" he has on offer: Northcote Hill Farmhouse

Not quite so high spec as yours (1/6pv; 0.92 strehl) but another 53 sq inches of light (25% more) :p

It's f4.7 so you'll need to split the tube to fit in in the car but we must all face these little trials from time to time!

funnily enough I was considering saving for an 18" f4.5 from John and if buying new I think it would be from him, but my 16" came up at a good price and I could not turn it down.

it's about as big as I want to handle for now. that said, if I can ever afford a 20" mirror then that would be next and as a truss.

I can tell at home that at a dark site this scope will be very nice.

Of a sort. There are two people waiting to see if any of the seasonals at Shallow Grange will definitely be away but we won't know for sure until a week before.

I have added you to the waiting list - you're third in the queue.

I would expect three EHUs to come available but no guarantees, I'm afraid.

J.

Thank you for that James I will wait and see then if you do not mind.. Also I forgot to say my caravan is quite long at nearly 24' overhaul but still only a single axle..

Many thanks again Regards Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Only 2 weeks to go now! I need to think about last minute items I haven't got and start to try to pull everything together for the weekend. To cross reference a related thread elsewhere on the forum I have a tent heater and 12 cans of gas. Hope thats enough!

God, I hate Paypal sometimes - finally getting round to reconciling the PSP accounts and noticed that PP is threatening to not allow any more payments to the account as total income is over £1,900 and some EU law on money laundering means I have to provide a load more information before the account can take ny more.

Anyway, am treating PSP as a charity as any excess funds will go towards PDDS or similar so I have filled in the Paypal screens as such. I got to the end screen (no going back at this point - once you tell it you're a charity, that's it) and it is now insisting I give it a registered charty number. Charities Commission won't let you register as a charity unless you can prove over £5k annual turnover so I cannot give this info. Just spoke with the (not very) helpful people at PP and found out that I canot go back to change the account type without sending something in writing and I cannot go forwards without a registration no - this is despite both the bank and HM Revenue & Customs being happy with PSP's status...

Why can't things, just for once, be simple rather than wrapped in about 300 miles of red tape?!

<rant over>

J.

Is there no chance of taking bookings now and taking payment in cash on arrival? You wanna be careful claiming to be a charity without being registered, James. Don't wanna get in trouble.

Regarding taking payments, I don't think PP has keeled over yet and we can still take "pay offline" bookings so people can pay by cheque - this wasn't a "we're all doomed" post so much as a "I'm getting p'd off with people making things difficult" post...

The charity bit is fine. PSP is not a registered charity but it is being run as one and I am keeping a fully auditable set of accounts (hence my current pain). Only reason it's not registered is the Charity Commission won't let you register until you can prove £5k annual income (Landing page - Resources for very small charities).

We have already built up some good links with local schools and are planning to build on this to promote science education in the region - grand future plans include setting up a community / eductional observatory in the Peaks and giving access to local schools and those in the surrounding cities. I have sorted out a draft constitution and will have this available at the Star Party for anybody who is interested. I may even make a brief talk about it if we have enough to say by then!

Regarding other legalities, HMR&C are already aware and are happy with our status.

J.

Hi Ian,

there is space for tents with no EHU (we offer free power pack charging) but we already have a waiting list of three for large caravan / campers needing EHU.

If you could put up with a tent, I would suggest booking a non-EHU pitch and we will upgrade you if we have enough spaces but that is the best I can offer, Im afraid.

J.

You're welcome to visit, but I'd suggest the Saturday. A Saturday day ticket will get you about midday Sat to midday Sun so you'll get the talks, expo and hopefully a decent night observing in (or just a decent ****-up if not!).

Hi. Looking to pop down for an evening. Tried the online booking - link says event not found. Durr. Must be doin sometning wrong. Nowt new there.

Tried trawling thru the pages on here but must keep missing the relevent post to tell me how to make a booking. I have tried honest. Is it using paypal.??

I've seen that much at least. An help appreciated when you can.

Cheers JOHN

Cheers John,

it's not you - it's the wretched booking system! Can you try again, but select "deferred payment" at the top of the booking form please? I'll send you paymet details when I see the booking come through.

Thanks,

James.

Good idea, a couple of small bits to sell here too

What about just starting a thread so people going can add what they've got then we can go and find them during the day?

On that subject, is there an up to date plan of who's going and where they are?

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Archived