NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WOW

Astro Imp

OK I know all you seasoned watches won't be too excited but I just had a great night and wanted to share.

I've only had my scope a couple of weeks and you know what the weather's been like.

I set up just as it was getting dark and headed straight for Jupiter, first time I had seen it with my own eyes, I was well chuffed :):D

Then headed over to the moon, another first and just gorgeous. Must get a moon map to start to identify the features.

Apart from a quick break for dinner I spent the next three hours going back and forth between the moon and Jupiter.

It surprised me how the position of Jupiter's moons changed during the course of just a few hours.

I know Jupiter has passed it's best at the moment but well pleased to have seen it.

Unfortunately I have to set my scope up in my front garden amid three street lights to get a view of Jupiter so didn't have the chance to view anything else. Never mind, am well pleased with my evenings viewing.

Sorry to bore you all but I'm bubbling with excitement :(:icon_bounce:

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I to have only just got a scope (for christmas) and I had exaclty the same experiance as you on my first time (Jupiter and the moon).

I was equally as impressed and excited when I first saw them!

Your report is great and you can just read the excitement from it! :(

My experience was pretty much the same! the moon, jupiter, the moon, jupiter etc till i got too cold as i'd excitedly gone out and not got any warm clothes on haha

Here's hoping for some clear skies soon. Reading these reports just makes me want to go out and get some scope time in :)

well done Alan, its a real treat to observe both the Moon and Jupiter whether its the 1st or 1000th time, shame about the streetlights in your way, good news is, they won't affect your observations of the Moon or Planets its only dso's ect that you'd need darker lp free skies if possible :(

You guys with your new scopes are making me perpetually jealous. I won't have my scope for a few weeks yet, and i have a feeling i'm going to miss the winter sky in all its glory. Roll on for the 21st, and my pay day, please.

You guys with your new scopes are making me perpetually jealous. I won't have my scope for a few weeks yet, and i have a feeling i'm going to miss the winter sky in all its glory. Roll on for the 21st, and my pay day, please.

Don't worry most of what you have missed over the last couple of weeks has been CLOUD :)

Enjoy your scope when you get it.

Sounds like you're having as much fun as I am, Astro Imp. A steep learning curve for me still.

Have you had any success with Saturn yet ?

I can only view it when its rising or setting because of trees blocking my southern view. I was up early this morning and was rewarded with clear skies but my own apple tree was in the way, thwarted again. I did get a look but I couldn't get the crisp image I could of Jupiter.

Have you had any success with Saturn yet ?

Not yet, I'm waiting for it to be viewable earlier in the evening. As the weather has been so unsettled I don't feel like getting up in the middle of the night only to be clouded out.

Hope your perserverance rewards you with a good view.

And yes Spacebloke I saw M42 on my first light a week or so ago, well impressed.

I swear I must be doing things backwards.... I've seen the Moon, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn but try as I might I just can't find the Orion Nebula. Saying that I have about 2 hours to find/see it when the sun goes down otherwise I actually loose sight of the whole constellation bar Betelgeuse which is very faint because it sits right on top of an oil refinery...

Still I was really excited when I first saw Jupiter and Saturn, I actually put it on my Facebook :)

Good hunting

Dazz

I saw jupiter for the first time myself only a month ago. i was so exceited I bought a bigger telescope the next day!

have you seen the orion nebula yet? that's really impressive!

thats what you call an instant reaction to aperture fever! ;)

Jupiter is indeed a majestic sight, as we slowly start to lose it for a while we get Saturn back at a more reasonable hour :)

Archived