Some of it does sink in...

UTMonkey

Hi All,

I have been a bit of a lurker on this forum since the Stargazing program on the BBC and have spent the time consuming as much information as I can about astronomy.

I have purchased "Turn Left at Orion" and also a copy of the February edition of "Sky at Night" and have been paying close attention to the posts on this forum (which have been very informative, friendly and constructive).

Anyway, after watching the Dark Skies segment on Look North this evening I went outside to look at the night sky. It was great! the northern hemisphere was a bit grotty but the southern skies were outstanding, at least by my standards.

I went back in the house and told my wife (who has been taking the p*** for the past two months) about the evening sky - she started rooting around the cupboard and pulled out a pair of binoculars.

The bins in question were 8x25 and to be honest I didn't think I would see much out of them, well I was completely wrong - the sky came alive!

It was also where I quite impressed myself by remembering some of the constellations, the obvious one in particular was Orion which was unbelievable, Pleiades really stood out.

I thought I would go one step further and see if I could see the Orion Nebula, I started at the belt and moved the binoculars down, wow, a brilliant smudge of light!

I must have been out there for quite a while (in my t-shirt, not really a planned observation session) and was feeling cold so came in and told the wife all about it. She wanted me to show her what I had seen, so I did. She was actually really pleased with what she was seeing.

Is this the start of a wonderful hobby?!?

All the best

Mark

p.s. the only spanner in the works to this potential hobby is my addiction to television, computers, central heating and my bed - any advice?.

hello and welcome from a fellow noob.

i've a few suggestions if you like you tv sky+ or record or get a freeview recorder (delete as appropriate)

addicted to computers?, well you could start your new hobby off by observing, and if you still like it in say 12 months time you could have a go at astrophotography and combine the astronomy with using computers(controling camers, mounts and other stuff.) you'll probably need a decent pc for processing........ build a new one i'm thinking atleast AMD Phenom X6 lol.

as for the centrat heating.... wrap up warm and for bed sleep when you can.

Mark

Archived