Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Geezer from Holland

Rockstar

Hello everybody,

I'm almost 43 years old and been stargazing for about 10 years on and off. Since i have many hobbies i turn my intrest from the one to the other. If i was a woman i would go all those things at once :(. I started with a 8" dob. it was good but it always was a big hassle to bring to a good spotting location. My gf in those years gave me a 60mm refractor that i used many times. I really loved it even when it was not perfect. Years later i bought myselve a better one. The WO 72mm refractor that i still use with a Altazi head with micro adjust on a Benro A-458 aluminum tripod.

One of my other hobbies (on an off) is photography that have been doing since i was 12. Started with a Nikon EM then FE then F3HP. now my Nikon D300 is my work horse, mostly used with old Ais lenses.

I never combined those hobbies since it was to much work and i did not make the time to learn.

Now i made the step to the serious work and bought 2 months ago the LZOS/APM APO 105/650mm Triplet with 2,5" FT focuser. i have the old EQ6 and the upgrade kit that i still need to install. But as a mechanical engineer i could not just use it... i dismanteled the EQ6 to enhance where possible. So still some assmebly to do. I think it will be summer before i can use it :)

The reason that i came here is to find out what this astrophotography is all about. What i need to know/do/buy. it will be a multi-year plan so i'm not in a hurry.

Im looking forward reading your comments, ideas and remarks and hopefully it will add to my abillity to create some great pictures in the future.

Hi Rickstar and welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question I feel lied in the purchase of Steve Richards "making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will tell you what kit you need, why you need it and how to use it to get the level of imaging you want. I always recommend it because it's fairly inexpensive but offer a load of information from simple techniques up to the more elaborate. Be warned, good images don't come cheap and they certainly involve a lot of time in both collecting the data and then later processing it. Have a look through the "Picture of the Week" past postings and checkout the time spent on some of these images. This book will give you that overview that helps you pitch your efforts.

Clear skies

James

Hoi Rockstar, welkom in SGL

It's funny that in Dutch if you pronounce "Star Geezer" it sounds a bit like "Star Gazer" in English. A nice subtle play with words there.

I hope you get a chance to drive away to darker skies sometime.

You might want to add yourself as a marker on "Where are we in the World"

http://stargazerslounge.com/sgl-announcements-events/110023-where-we-all.html

Veel succes en groetjes,

Chris

Welcome to SGL Rockstar the EQ6 will serve you well and it's a great mount for imaging. The TMB scope is a good investment too. Although not necessary from the outset you will probably need to consider autoguiding and it would be worth looking at cheap scopes to guide with.

Regards

Kevin

Yes, I read indead about autoguiding and it look promising. Worth looking into. As guide scope i could use my WO 72mm or i could use some in-line autoguiding that i have seen (called a off-axis i think). It sits perpendicular to the Main telescope and uses a small prism. A simple dedicated autoguiding sensor is used. I will post a other thread on that.

Archived