NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another noob from the south east.

paul schofield

Hello SGL, yet another newbie from the very cloudy south east, Kent. I was lucky enough to be given a Sky-Watcher 130p by my girlfriend for Christmas, after hinting for one for months. Also I was bought a couple of Meade super plossl`s E.P`s. 9.7 & 25mm. I think she read the E.P`S supplied with scope were not brilliant. I am really looking forward to some clear skies as I have only had 2 nights so far, argggh. Does anybody know if these eyepieces are any good? Also was give Turn left at Orion, so clear skies pending going to look at Jupiter again and The Orion Neb first, cant wait. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL. Looks like your partner bought you a decent starter scope. The eyepieces supplied are ok but like anything in life, you can buy better. The best advice is to use them with the scope for a while and see how they perform on different objects. The good thing about investing in good eyepieces is that you can still use them, even if you upgrade your scope.

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

We all know who to write to now for Christmas astro presents!:):D (clearly writing to father Christmas was a waste of time - unless he's keeping my scope)

Welcome aboard and hope the weather clears up soon for you too

James

Hi Paul,

just to let you know you could do with getting a higher powered eyepiece to see all the detail your scope can reveal on the planets and the moon. You have two choices:-

1) Get a barlow which will double the magnification of whatever eyepiece is placed in it so the 9.7mm (X67) will magnify by 134X.

2) Get a 6mm (X107), 5mm (130X) or 4mm(163X) (although eyepieces get less comfortable to use as they get shorter in focal length as you have to press your eye tightly against them to see the view properly (see 'eye relief'). Short focus eyepieces with long eye-relief tend to be more expensive)

Hi Paul,

I also got a great Christmas present of a Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145p and I am loving it... I did the moon first then Jupiter... all amazing! I'm researching for some new eps (well it would be rude not too) sounds like you have been bought some already

Enjoy!!!

Archived