Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Serious Dob !!

But would it ever get used. Your night would go like this.

1. Drive miles to a dark remote site.

2. Skies are clear :evil1: start setting up.

3. After one hour setting up, looks upwards and see the sky clouded over :).

4. Takes one hour to take down.

5. Long drive home

6. Get home and skies are clear :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If i could afford that monster my night would go like this.

1. See its a clear night.:)

2. Put my coat on.;)

3. Walk out to my observatory under a pitch black sky.:)

4. Climb the steps to the eyepiece.:)

5. Get totally blown away by the views fall off the step ladder and break my neck.:)

Steve

If i could afford that monster my night would go like this.

1. See its a clear night.;)

2. Put my coat on.:)

3. Walk out to my observatory under a pitch black sky.:)

4. Climb the steps to the eyepiece.:)

5. Get totally blown away by the views fall off the step ladder and break my neck.:)

Steve

Your does sound better except for the broken neck part :)

With that kind of focal length, doesn't it need pretty special eyepieces (or is its lowest magnification 300x)?

No, not really. F/ratio rather than focal length determines how "special" the eyepieces need to be, and this is only F/6. Minimum magnification is set by the requirement to have the exit pupil of <~6mm, so probably about 130x for this telescope (760mm aperture down to 6mm).

But would it ever get used. Your night would go like this.

1. Drive miles to a dark remote site.

2. Skies are clear :) start setting up.

3. After one hour setting up, looks upwards and see the sky clouded over ;).

4. Takes one hour to take down.

5. Long drive home

6. Get home and skies are clear :)

That sounds like my routine (minus the driving - I don't drive).

I'm hoping that my obsy will at least reduce the setup times, and maybe allow me more time on the scopes in my dreadful, light-polluted location.

One side of me would love to look through it but the other side of me says I would never be happy with my own piddly little 10" scope again if I did !

You would never be able to replace the views a 30" could give but as some have jokingly said it can be a pain setting up just to have clouds come over. Plus I can't imagine it's a one man scope either as if your 7' off the ground on top of a ladder to change object you would have to come back down the steps move them out the way which I suspect is an ordeal in itself some how man handle the scope to a new object with the same hassles we all have finding faint and fuzzes. Quickly run over get the steps lined up get back up the steps only to come back down to move them as the first attempt failed, then go back up to only have to come down again as the object is no where to be seen. Man handle the scope again setup steps Blah, Blah, Blah I'm done in already at the thought of it. Awesome scope and I love that the finder is an 8" reflector on the side but if your not risking vertigo balancing on top of steps you would be risking a hernia getting the scope on target. It may be in humor but the agro involved in setting up a 30" monster of a scope would soon get you wishing for your 10" back. All said and done I would want to be 1st in line to have a look through this Goliath :):D

No, not really. F/ratio rather than focal length determines how "special" the eyepieces need to be, and this is only F/6. Minimum magnification is set by the requirement to have the exit pupil of <~6mm, so probably about 130x for this telescope (760mm aperture down to 6mm).

What I meant was with a FL of around 5000mm,it would be hard to find an EP that gave less magnification than 150x. As you say, much below 150x gives too large a exit pupil... but finding a target with such a tiny FOV must be interesting.

What I meant was with a FL of around 5000mm,it would be hard to find an EP that gave less magnification than 150x. As you say, much below 150x gives too large a exit pupil... but finding a target with such a tiny FOV must be interesting.

Very true. Even with an 80 degree AFOV eyepiece, you only have ~two minutes for the object to go from one side of the field to the other.

Would be very interesting to see it all in operation :)

Surely there is a great candidate for a digital eye-piece? I know there is something about looking at things with your own eyes but this would be far more practical viewed through a telly!

You could always target it on screen, then "run" up the stepladders for a look-see.

Any suggestions on how you would hide this from the "other half" to avoid the "what have you bought now" comments ? :)

Dress it up as a woman and say your long lost sister has come to live with you for a while until she gets back on her feet after losing everything in a twisted bitter divorce.

Any suggestions on how you would hide this from the "other half" to avoid the "what have you bought now" comments ? :)

Don't need to hide it, just think of an excuse.

How about:

"Well you told me i need to look for more work":)

Steve

Archived