Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Serious Dob !!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great image! A VERY nice scope, a VERY nice location to match. I thought he also had a very sturdy roof rack till I noticed that it was in fact the step ladders., though I wouldn't fancy standing on those given the level terrain in the picture. Me also thinks he owns a very large first aid kit.:D

Thanks for posting the image!

James

Great image! A VERY nice scope, a VERY nice location to match. I thought he also had a very sturdy roof rack till I noticed that it was in fact the step ladders., though I wouldn't fancy standing on those given the level terrain in the picture. Me also thinks he owns a very large first aid kit.:evil1:

Thanks for posting the image!

James

James, you and me think alike... I think it's like diving when using that scope... you always need a buddy just in case of difficulties. You could do yourself some damage falling off that ladder !:D

To me that is a complete waste of money. For me personally it is unusable.

Amended from original:

Paul. I understand (now) why it would be unsuitable for you personally and I apologise if I came across as insensitive.

Original reply:

How odd, as one who has used this very 'scope on several occasions I can assure you that it is far from unusable. I would be very interested in how you have come to your conclusion. :D

Respectively,

David Galvin. (Liverpool A.S)

How odd, as one who has used this very 'scope on several occasions I can assure you that it is far from unusable. I would be very interested in how you have come to your conclusion. :D

Respectively,

David Galvin. (Liverpool A.S)

I presume. looking at Lukeskywatchers avatar, that he is disabled so would not be able to climb the stepladder to use the eyepiece. If I am wrong, I apologise.

Dave Thompson (the guy standing next to it) worked on the several professional telescopes including the Liverpool Telescope on La Palma and knows a thing or two about engineering.

Have a look at some of his reports http://datscope.wikispaces.com/TTL+site+visits

Paul, I suffer from vertigo too and struggled up the ladder to the eyepiece but the view of M13 made it worth the while. :-)

Dave, thanks for the link for Dave's Thompson's website. When I clicked on the top left image and looked through the images, there was a very useful 30" TRO dob, which being a faster scope, would only require a small ladder or platform to stand on - very nice! I feel the pull of these dobs getting closer.:D

Thanks again for the link.

James

I think with this sort of scope you probably just let the sky drift through a lot of the time and let targets come to you! I'd thing almost every view has a galaxy in it!

it will be well balanced though and easy to move with a fingertip from the top end (although I suspect it has GOTO?)

Would make a great advertisement for VOLVO. Just look what you can fit in the new V90..................:D

That's what I originally said to the wife when I stumbled across the site. "Can I get one of these (pointing to the picture)... we've got a V70 like the guy in the picture... should fit :evil1: "

Personally I'm not a fan of dobs... but I do admire the engineering that goes into large scopes such as this one... in that how to compact something that large and transport it to a sight where you would get the best out of it.

Archived