Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Surprise Rosette - dusty close up

MartinB

The moon was pretty much over my current project of Thor's Helmet last night so I decided to have a look at the potential for a close up of the Rosette trying to pick out the dustiest areas I'd enjoyed processing on a previous wider field image.

The evening became one long battle to get the scope to guide properly in dec. No idea what was happening and the subs weren't great, just useable. As soon as I did a meridian flip everything was fine and I could go to bed.

I was only killing a bit of time really and getting used to my MN190 but did a quick process this evening and I'm quite chuffed with the all round dustiness. It's a bit short of data so I will probably come back to it when Thor's Helmet is done with.

Scope MN190

Camera QSI 532wsg

Filters Baader 7/8nm

Ha 7x15mins SII and OIII both 6x 15mins. Hubble palate

Captured calibrated aligned and combined with Maxim. Processed in PS

post-12794-13387752102_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The framing is perfect Martin, catching the blue of the OIII against the gold of the HA/SII to make for a very pretty picture. As you say, more data on a moonless night would really bring this alive :D

Thank's a lot everyone.

Cracking picture Martin , when i saw your image i went and had a look at the ccd your using and u could have knocked me over with a feather when i saw the price lol (maybe when i win the lottery

The QSI 532 is a horrible price, the most expensive of the QSI 500 series, and none of them are cheap! The chip isn't especially big and only 3.2 megapixels, focusing is slow because a small sub frame is hardly any slower than using a full frame and it blooms.

I got quite a bit off the cost new because it had previously been used by Nik Szymanek who then decided he wanted one without the inbuilt filterwheel.

I got it because it is the most sensitive chip available that I know off. Added bonuses are fantastic build quality and excellent on board electronics. I love the built in filterwheel and can switch front plates to have built in OAG.

However, it isn't necessary to spend this sort of money and some much cheaper chips aren't far behind sensitivity wise these days.

Any thoughts on the 583, Martin? Why did Nik prefer to have no inbuilt filter wheel?

Thinking of getting one.

Fay

I know Nik had an episode when the filter wheel didn't work properly whilst in La Palma, he put it down to the extremely dry conditions. He may also have had a motorised wheel anyway, I don't know.

The 583 is a good bit cheaper, is very sensitive and, because the spacing between filter and chip is so small with the QSI it can be used with 1.25" filters unlike other cameras with the same chip. The mechanical shutter in these cameras is a gem. My camera has a shortest exposure of 4/100 seconds and you can also take flats at with these short exposures.

From what I can gather the 583 has pretty long download times. Kevin Nelson says this is a feature of the high quality DAC and ensures the lowest possible read noise, if that is the case it is justified. People involved with other makes have said that is not really the case. TBH I haven't looked into it.

The QSI 500 cameras are quite heavy but superbly made. They are completely light proof so you can take day time darks out in the open. The regulated cooling is very stable and gets down to temp quickly.

If you are interested in the QSI cams your best bet is to talk to Ian King. Nik now has a 583!

Lovely image Martin... I'm into these close ups.. :evil1:

Perhaps the tracking was a mount balance/weight issue? I dont know if your on a dula rail like me , mine need careful balance in 3 axis to track either side..:D

Archived