New guy from Sussex! Hi all!

SussexRob

Hi all,

SussexRob here, and a newbie to the forum, and stargazing as an adult.

I have no scope at present, but plan to purchase one when finances permit.

I am 26, a keen photographer, outdoor fanatic, and heavily involed in scouting.

as a kid I was fascinated with all things space and the night sky. I had a cheap telescope that kept me hapy four hours on end. But growing up, other things took me away from the hobby and I never did much stargazing after that. after the BBC stargazing run, I have been inspired to get back into it again, this time as an adult. Eventually, I hope to combine my love of photography in with the hobby, but small steps. I need a scope and to get familiar with the sky again now!

I found this forum mentioned on a photo forum so thought I'd give it a look. I believe that Jgs001 is a member here, as well as the photo forum I use, and I have been admiring his photo's for a good couple of years there now.

Anyway,. hi to all!

Rob

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob, welcome to SGL. I've worked out who you are now too :icon_eek:... There looks to be a sussex meet up occurring somewhere over your way, not sure if it's this weekend or not. I won't be able to make it this weekend though...

Do you have a pair of binoculars ? That'll allow you to see a lot more than you can with just the eyes. Also, grab yourself a copy of Stellarium. A planisphere is also a good investment for finding your way around, if you can find any, as stargazing live seems to have caused a bit of a run on them :D

Thanks Russ, and Hi John.

I thought you may be able to work out who I was. I can't do this weekend, I'm Scouting each day.

I don't have bins, but have access to some, (i'll halve inch my Dads when I go round later today!!). Thanks for the recommendations too, Ill see what I can find. My birthday is coming up, so you never know, I might be able to get some bits and bobs.

Hi Rob. Welcome to SGL.

You don't need a telescope to do astronomy. It's recommended you start out using binoculars. 7x50 or 10x50 is recommended and they can double as outdoor binocular. You should only buy a telescope after you become familiar with the sky and work out what you are interested in.

Keith

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.

If you have yet to but a scope but are looking towards astrophotography as your goal, then can I suggest you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Phoyon Count". The reason for my recommendation is that in the main, equipment which is great for observing (e.g Dobsonians) might not be suitable for imaging. Reading this book will provide a helpful overview that is comprehensive and might indeed save you money. Wouldn't want you investing in kit only to resell it!

Clear skies in the meantime

James

Archived