Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings All

Penfold

Another new member who's interest was ignited by Stargazing Live.

I have always had a fascination with the night sky but never really done anything about it apart from having a rotating Star Finder that I use occasionally with binoculars.

Having an interest in photography, I see this as a natural progression now to help me explore the wonders of astronomy.

So hello all.

Mark

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all for your welcome.

I've had a couple of goes just with my camera and 300mm lens Russ

This one of the moon had a bit of cyan fringing due to stacking a 1.4 + 2 x converter but I was impressed :) But that doesn't take much.

820042046_Dm3dc-O-2.jpg

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

Stargazers Live has created a lot of interest and in particular, astrophotography. I'm afraid they over cooked it in their photography section in the first episode by showing images of Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) that you can not obtain from a camera sitting on a tripod. As you see this activity as the next step for you can I recommend that you get hold of a copy of Steve Richard's "Making Every Photo Count" (FLO £19.95) which will provide you with a definitive account of what you need, why you need it and how to use it. Taking images of planets and the moon is fairly straight forward because their brightness and hence their exposure, places little demand on tracking the object for any amount of time. When it comes to imaging DSO's the small amounts of light they emit require longer tracking and that's when all the fun starts! Steve's book is very good and in fact might save you money in helping you avoid buying the wrong kit.

I thought your image of the moon was very good by the way!

Clear skies

James

Thanks for the info James... I'll get it ordered.

My thoughts at the moment are for piggybacking my 300mm f2.8 lens with converter on the back of a scope as a starting point and so the initial investment will probably be a good mount (perhaps HEQ5 SynTrek) thus giving upto 600mm at f5.6.

You're telling me about movement I had a practice with my photography tripod and the best I could manage was 2 secs at 420mm and still there was too much movement and not much light gathering.

1147949363_GXKrF-L.jpg

Archived