Hello!

MGSteve

Hi, Nice forum you have here :eek:

I'm going to try and get onto the Astrophotography scene this year. Been talking about it for ages, but never got around to it.

Anyway, I've got the camera! - Canon 400D. However, what I don't have is the telescope, mount & adapters. Basically the main stuff! :)

I've tried taking photos of the sky with the camera & tripod, but of course at the very least I need an motorised equatorial mount so I can do long exposures.

So, that brings me here and in need of a bit of advice.

In the UK I'm right in the middle of a town (Walsall) with rather limited views ;) However, at my Dad's place in Spain we have a lot better viewing conditions, although even though he's a lot more rural than we are in the UK, we can only just about see the Milky Way. It appears the best place for really good viewing is literally in the middle of nowhere.

I was in Egypt in Dec 2009 and one of the trips out to a Bedouin meal in the Sinai desert had about 15 min of stargazing at the end of it - best conditions I've seen for ages.

Best view of the Milky way I've ever had though was in the Dominican Republic in 1992 during a powercut! It was fantastic.

Anyway, I'll start that thread in the Beginner forum, but I just wanted to say Hi!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi MGSteve and welcome to the forum.

The need for mobility with regards to equipment is a very real consideration with a lot of astronomers including myself. There is plenty of kit out there to suit circumstance and budget but the best advice I can offer is to look through some of this kit first before you part with your cash. Apertures and magnification will very quickly require you to have a nice lie down as your head attempts to calibrate the many different options. That's why getting up close to this kit, reflecting on its size and weight, thinking about the setting up time (if you have to travel) along with cool down times can all be answered outside of the 'shop' by going along to many observation evenings that are currently being run by local astro clubs in your area. Talking to people who actually use the kit is invaluable.

Clear skies in the meantime

James

Archived