Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Worst astro weather i can remember.....

russ

for quite a while. This is the worst period i can remember since autumn/winter 2004/5. I've not had a clear sky (day or night) now since November. And the couple in November were plagued with the worst seeing/transparency possible. Forecast for the next two weeks:

cloud and rain! :(

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me about it mate!

We had a clear night on Christmas Day, but for obvious reasons didn't get to go out. We had a clear patch on Boxing day and showed my 15yo nephew a few bits in the 20 minutes that we had.

I do realise that I do not take full advantage of clear skies and that I have passed some over , but I've not been out "properly" since Kelling...

I really hope that 2011 is better or a fair amount of my kit may be going up for sale!

Ant

It's been pretty much the same along the coast here in East Sussex, although we are forecast clear skies tonight and tomorrow.

Although the accuracy of that forecast remains to be seen :(

Hope it clears up soon down your way

We've not even had a clear patch of any description. Solid white cloud all the time, really depressing.

Metchumps are forecasting clear for tomorrow morning and evening, but you couldn't trust them to boil an egg, let alone get the weather right.

You must be desperate Ant to consider a 5am start. :(

Lets hope it does clear as they say Nick.

Just thinking the same myself it's been wall to wall clouds day and night with the exception of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day when the trasnparency was really bad.

That's been my experience Kevin, the only time it cleared we had the worst seeing/transparency ever. :(

I was beginning to think it was just over my house that there was **** weather! I had a couple of clear nights the 28/29 november with rubbish transparency as everyone lit a bonfire over here.

In a way it is nice to read you all having the same problem!

Well since I came back to this hobby we have had duff weather. It's been three years now that all you people keep telling me "hang in there it's bound to improve soon and you'll regret selling stuff yadda yadda yadda" it never has yet, the winters have been duff since I started this hobby I have seen m42 twice. Errrr that's one of tge biggest brightest nebs up there and I have managed it twice thanks to appalling weather.

It's been dreadful. I take some of the hits because on the odd occasion it has been clear I don't always do it but then I am some times just way too tired when i get in from work.

I think though this year if these no definite improvement I will sell off all of my scopes except the TAL and maybe reequip with something like a 120 ish APO. There seems very little point having an 8 inch scope that never gets used cos seeing is never possible for it. I would struggle to think of 6 occasions last year when the 200 was used.

we have been lucky in meltham, a good few clear nights, bitterly cold but not been able to take advantage of it due to commitments, had one night when i 1st lighted my tal and the omc as it was so clear

I was only just thinking this today, Russ - I might keep a night weather diary this year to see how many clear skies we do get.

Great idea Sam. Be interesting to see just how many clear nights we do get a year. I may do the same.

Well since I came back to this hobby we have had duff weather. It's been three years now that all you people keep telling me "hang in there it's bound to improve soon and you'll regret selling stuff yadda yadda yadda" it never has yet, the winters have been duff since I started this hobby I have seen m42 twice. Errrr that's one of tge biggest brightest nebs up there and I have managed it twice thanks to appalling weather.

It's been dreadful. I take some of the hits because on the odd occasion it has been clear I don't always do it but then I am some times just way too tired when i get in from work.

I think though this year if these no definite improvement I will sell off all of my scopes except the TAL and maybe reequip with something like a 120 ish APO. There seems very little point having an 8 inch scope that never gets used cos seeing is never possible for it. I would struggle to think of 6 occasions last year when the 200 was used.

It's hard sticking with it when the clear sky opportunites are few and far between. My situation is compounded by terrible LP, which means the slightest bit of mist or moisture in the air and i just give up.

I dont mind right now I have no mount until next week, but my new ccd and scopes may prolong the cloud cover.

Decemeber has been dire, I love the summer sky, bring it on....

new scopes, ccd and mount? You've not told me about this, now i'm dying to know....please spill the beans :(

I must agree, I have bought my wife her first telescope for Christmas, a Celestron 130eq md and we have not been able to use it up to now.

Maybe one of you guys can answer a question with regards to our telescope, I have assembled it but the manual does not give enough info on the motor drive, when it is switched on the telescope does not appear to move, is that because it moves to track an object very slowly, if I undo the screw on the connecting collar the RA will turn ok, if I tighten the screw it seems to lock it together so that the RA knob will not turn, I dont want force it just in case I damage it, its a poor show on Celestron not to give clear instructions in the manual.

Many thanks

Startreck

new scopes, ccd and mount? You've not told me about this, now i'm dying to know....please spill the beans :)

This is because I got it yesterday and it was new years parties :(

Picked up an atik 314l+ and a zenithstar 70 plus some extra's, pics will come when it all arrives next week :p

Decemeber has been dire, I love the summer sky, bring it on....

I have to admit that I love the winter constellations but so far I get more imaging time during the summer when the nights are shorter. At least in the summer I can get a week or more clear skies in a row over here. :(

December was a funny month here, we had plenty of clear nights but the transparency was so bad I actually only got 3 imaging nights out of a possible dozen or so. Ive never seen humidity so high when its been so cold.

Metchumps are forecasting clear for tomorrow morning and evening, but you couldn't trust them to boil an egg, let alone get the weather right.

I strongly second that opinion :(

I was only just thinking this today, Russ - I might keep a night weather diary this year to see how many clear skies we do get.

That's a good idea, maybe more of us should do this to get a proper idea of how many viewable nights are available around the Country:icon_confused: (whoops beaten to it)

Archived